Sumovore left motor not turning

  • altengnw32
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2005
      Hi:

      We finished assemblying our Sumvore and the left motor does not turn.

      I checked the continuity between the solder pads under the left
      motor terminal block and the terminals on the left motor and they
      were fine.

      Then with the Sumovore off, I applied 6 VDC to the solder pads under
      the left motor terminal block and the motor ran fine.

      So no problem with the motor, wiring or terminal block.

      What else should I check out?

      Thanks,

      Lawrence
    • Tom Gray
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2005
        Sounds like you've done a good bit of diagnosis so far. One common problem
        is a poor solder joint, or even one that got missed entirely. Take each
        board, examine it carefully under a bright light, using a magnifying glass
        if necessary. Check each solder joint and touch up any that look
        suspicious.
        Good luck
        Tom

        > Hi:
        >
        > We finished assemblying our Sumvore and the left motor does not turn.
        >
        > I checked the continuity between the solder pads under the left
        > motor terminal block and the terminals on the left motor and they
        > were fine.
        >
        > Then with the Sumovore off, I applied 6 VDC to the solder pads under
        > the left motor terminal block and the motor ran fine.
        >
        > So no problem with the motor, wiring or terminal block.
        >
        > What else should I check out?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Lawrence
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dave Hrynkiw
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2005
          altengnw32 wrote:

          > Hi:
          >
          > We finished assemblying our Sumvore and the left motor does not turn.
          >
          > I checked the continuity between the solder pads under the left
          > motor terminal block and the terminals on the left motor and they
          > were fine.
          >
          > Then with the Sumovore off, I applied 6 VDC to the solder pads under
          > the left motor terminal block and the motor ran fine.
          >
          > So no problem with the motor, wiring or terminal block.
          >
          > What else should I check out?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Lawrence

          Hi Lawrence.

          I recently had a troublesome Sumovore with a similar problem as well,
          and I traced it back to a cold solder joint on the brainboard. What it
          boils down to is that there are several ways to inhibit a motor, and the
          best FIRST step is to go back, and remelt/resolder questionable solder
          connections (which is how I traced my problem).

          Regards,
          Dave
        • Tom Gray
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2005
            > > I recently had a troublesome Sumovore with a similar problem as well,
            > and I traced it back to a cold solder joint on the brainboard. What it
            > boils down to is that there are several ways to inhibit a motor, and the
            > best FIRST step is to go back, and remelt/resolder questionable solder
            > connections (which is how I traced my problem).
            And since I may be owner of the sumovore to which Dave refers, I'll mention
            the need to use a magnifying glass. I had already carefully examined and
            redone all the joints that seemed iffy, and still seem to have missed the
            critical one that Dave and/or Grant caught. But then, I could see better
            when I was Dave's age!
            Tom