40 Sayings Of A Modern Sufi Master

  • Sheikh Mehdi abd al Qadir Malang
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2007
      40 Sayings Of A Modern Sufi Master
      Asif Naqshbandi
      May 16, 2000
      Translated by Asif Jehangir Naqshbandi Jamaati I am a biomedical
      engineer. I became initiated into the Naqshbandi Order a few years
      back and in my spare time I help to translate the works of great
      Muslims of the Subcontinent into English.

      Selection of wise sayings by a Naqshbandi Sufi Master from Pakistan.

      Here is a compendium of forty (40) wise sayings of one of the
      greatest Sufi saints of the 19th/20th centuries, Hazrat Pir Sayyid
      Jamaat Ali Shah Sahib quds-sirruhu (c.1840 -1951) of Alipur Sharif,
      Sialkot, Pakistan. The Shaykh was one of the great saints of the
      Punjab and a sayyid also from both maternal and paternal sides of his
      family. His ancestors, all sufi masters themselves, hailed from
      Shiraz in Iran and came to the Subcontinent when one of them
      accompanied Emperor Humayoun back to Delhi after his exile in Iran
      where Humayoun had originally met him. The Shaykh's ancestors
      honoured the court of Humayoun with their presence but when Akbar
      began to deviate from the religion of Islam and announced his Din i
      Ilaahi they left the imperial court in protest. Akbar was loathe to
      see such saintly persons go but they were adamant and so he granted
      them a piece of land in Alipur area as a parting honour. Here the
      Shaykh's ancestors settled in the subcontinent and their descendants
      have remained there ever since.

      Hazrat Jamaat Ali Shah sahib was renowned for his saintliness even as
      a young child and after completing his religious studies (he was an
      expert in all of the branches of fiqh but especially in the sciences
      of hadith) he went throughout the width and breadth of the
      subcontinent working tirelessly for Islam and the Muslims. He laid
      the foundation stones--and funded-- hundreds of mosques throughout
      the Subcontinent from Peshawar to Hyderabad, Deccan. He was a leading
      personality in all of the major movements of that time such as the
      Khilafat movement and he was especially active against the Arya Samaj
      movement and helped to save the iman of countless Muslims with his
      tireless efforts. He also was one of the key defenders of the Ahle
      Sunnah faith against the rise of Qadianism and also was an opponent
      of the reform movements like that of the Wahabis.

      He had a wonderful, awe-inspiring personality and was gentle and
      loving towards all, yet was afraid of no one when it came to
      defending the religion of Allah's Messenger sal Allahu alayhi wa
      sallam; this is demonstrated by his leadership of the Muslims during
      the Shahid Ganj Mosque incident where the Shaykh led the opposition
      to the plans of the British rulers in Lahore as well as his refusal
      to pray behind the official Wahaabi Imams in the Haramain appointed
      by King Saud and his refusal to visit the King when he was ordered to
      do so to explain: "I am a faqeer, he is a king" was his famous reply.
      In the end it was Saud who relented and allowed the Shaykh to pray by
      himself! He received medals from the Sultan of Ottoman Turkey for his
      services to Islam and for his amazing generosity in helping the
      people of Madina during a drought there for which he received the
      title "Abu'l Arab".

      However, apart from his vast learning, it was as a Sufi shaykh that
      the saint was loved by the populace and it is estimated that he had
      over 1 million murids [disciples] from Afghanistan to the southern
      tip of India; he received the khirqa [cloak] from his Shaykh very
      soon after taking bayah [pledge of spiritual allegaince] and was thus
      the representative of his Shaykh early on. He was authorized to
      accept murids into many Sufi Orders but it was as a Naqshbandi Master
      that he is famous for, carrying the great secret of this Order. He
      transformed the lives of countless people and sinners repented at his
      hands by the thousand and many others themselves reached the highest
      levels of spiritual development by his attention. His karaamaat
      [miracles] are too many to recount and there are many eye-witnesses
      to them.

      He was extremely generous and magnanimous towards all, especially the
      poor, and he would not eat alone and the poor had been invited to
      share his table with him. Though possessing great family wealth the
      Shaykh spent it all on Islam and the poor, himself living frugally in
      the manner of the great Naqshbandi Sufis of the past.

      He was a big supporter of the Pakistan movement and amongst his
      admirers was one Muhammad Iqbal, the poet. Also, he wrote many
      letters to Quaid e Azam offering advice and support and he was
      instrumental in getting the populace to vote for the Muslim League:
      he issued a fatwa saying that he would not read the janaazah prayer
      of anyone of his mureeds who did not vote for Pakistan. He sent a
      tasbih and prayer mat to the Quaid too and asked him to pray
      regularly.

      As a Sufi he occupied the status of a Perfect Master and he was loved
      by all and sundry. It is for his love of the Holy Prophet of Allah
      alayhi salaat o salaam that he is especially famous for (like Mawlana
      Ahmad Raza Khan Barelvi alayhirahmat, his younger contemporary with
      whom he had a great friendship and admired). He passed onto his
      Creator in 1951 but until the very end he stuck passionately to the
      commands of the Shar'iah, never missing a prayer and often he would
      pray all night long. Inna lillaha wa inna ilaayhi raaj'iun.

      I was fortunate enough to be initiated into this great Sufi family by
      the great grandson of Hazrat Sayyid Jamaat Ali Shah, my Shaykh Hazrat
      Sayyid Munawwar Hussain Shah Jamaati sahib a few years ago. I am
      translating the biography of the Shaykh into English and insha Allah
      I shall be succesful in this task.

      As a taster, here is a sample of 40 sayings of the Shaykh (malfuzat)
      which I have translated. Each one is an ocean of wisdom and may Allah
      help us to benefit from them and to act on the advice. Ameen.

      Forty Utterances [Malfuzat] of The Most Venerable Shaykh, Amir-E-
      Millat Hadrat Sayyid Jamaat Ali Shah Naqshbandi-Mujaddidi [May Allah
      sanctify his mighty secret!]

      In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

      He (May Allah be pleased with him) said:

      1.If the name of Allah is uttered even once with the tongue, it is
      the dhikr (remembrance) of the tongue; if Allah is remembered once
      with the heart, then that is equal to thirty five million utterances
      (dhikr) of the tongue. Such is the dhikr of the heart. There are 35
      million blood vessels in the body, and all are connected to the
      heart. If Allah's name is uttered even once (with the heart) then all
      the vessels utter it too.

      2.In a river, a boat travels on the water and the greater the amount
      of water, the more at ease the boat will be. However if that very
      water enters the boat, it will capsize. The heart is as the boat and
      the sorrows and heartaches of the world are the water; everyone's
      boat has sunk except that of the people of Allah—those who do dhikr—
      which always stays afloat.

      3.Allah [May He be Exalted!] has created Hell for the enemies of the
      Holy Messenger [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] and Paradise for those
      who are his lovers. Those people who worry about whether they will go
      to Heaven or Hell after death, should ask themselves whether they are
      lovers of His Excellency (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) or amongst his
      enemies.

      4."Kullu jadeedin lazeezun"; you may like every new thing of this
      world but in your Faith [Deen] you must stick with the same, ancient,
      Islam as that of your Predecessors.

      5.If a man has bad (sinful) actions [`amal] so be it, but Allah
      forbid that his Belief [`aqeedah] is bad. In a hadith it is written
      that run from a leper as you would from a lion; those with bad Belief
      are lepers of the heart—protect yourself from them, in fact do not
      even sit where they have sat.

      6.Constant contemplation [fikr] about prayer [salat; namaz] is given
      the name prayer i.e. a person is busy doing some work but his heart
      is always thinking about the (next) prayer so that sometimes he asks
      about the time, sometimes he looks at his watch, at other times he
      looks at the (position of) the sun, to make sure that he doesn't miss
      the (correct) prayer time. Until such templation is achieved, the
      prayer is just a ritual and a habit which is being performed. May
      Allah Almighty grant us such contemplation!

      7.If a farmer uses a plough all his life but does not plant the
      seeds, can his crops grow? Of course not! Using the plough is fasting
      [sawm], prayer [salat], pilgrimage [Hajj] and sowing the seeds is
      charity [zakat]. If one does not give zakat, all his praying, fasting
      and making the pilgrimage is in vain.

      8.If two tasks need to be performed, one for the Faith [Deen], the
      other for the world [dunya], then perform the one for the Deen first.
      Through it's blessing [baraka'] the worldly task will also be
      achieved.

      9.Every supplication [dua'] has two wings: lawful earnings, and a
      truthful tongue. Whoever earns through lawful [halal] means and
      speaks the truth, his supplication will definitely be accepted.

      10.Whoever asks from you in fact does you a favour, for he asks you
      for a paisa [a hundredth of a rupee] and Allah rewards you for
      (giving) it seven-hundred fold.

      11.Saying, `La ilaha il Allah' (there is no god but Allah) makes one
      a muwwahid (monotheist), not a Believer (mu'min). So when will you
      become a Believer? When you say `La ilaha il Allahu Muhammadur Rasul
      Allah' (there is no god but Allah (and) Muhammad is the Messenger of
      Allah). For us the greatest blessing (ni'mat) is that of Iman
      (Faith).Even Satan recites `La ilaha il Allah', but why is he still
      known as the Accursed? He (even) says, `Inni akhafullaha Rabbal
      aalamin' (Verily, I have fear of Allah, the Lord of the Worlds).

      All the different groups in the world are believers in the Oneness of
      God [tawhid], whether they be bhangis, choorhay-chamaar,Christians,
      or some other group, but why are they accursed (mala'un)? Because
      they only say, 'There is no god but Allah' but omit `Muhammad is the
      Messenger of Allah'.

      12.When the blessed name of the Chief of Both the Worlds (Muhammad),
      sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, comes on one's tongue, all one's
      lifetime of blasphemy [kufr], polytheism [shirk], and all one's sins
      are erased.

      13.In this day and age it is common to hear that do not praise His
      Excellency Muhammad), sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, beyond his limit.
      But only one who knows a limit can go beyond it. If someone does not
      know the limit, how will he exceed it? Apart from Allah Almighty no
      one knows the limits of the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam);
      reading his noble kalimah once is enough to wipe out a lifetime's
      sins! This much we do know about his limits:

      Muhammad Mustafa, O Kaif, is praised by Allah Forget about Man: no
      one can truly praise him!

      Muhammad is the Divine Secret, his secrets who knows?

      In shar'iah he is a man, in reality [haqiqah] God knows!

      14.In , `Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah', there is laudation
      [na'at] of the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam; those who do not
      like the Prophet's laudation [na'at], should also refrain from
      saying, "Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah."

      15.The earth does not eat the bodies of the Prophets, neither does it
      touch them. The Prophets pray [perform namaz] in their graves.

      Use analogy [qiyas] then, and think what the state of The Prophet
      will be like (in his grave).

      16.The Messenger of Allah, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, said that
      whoever sends salutations upon me I will answer his salutations.

      17.His Excellency (Muhammad), sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, said that
      whoever sends blessings [durud-i-sharif] upon me with love, I hear it
      with my own ears.

      18.The Holy Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam ,after veiling
      himself from this world, is, without doubt, alive and still upon his
      Prophethood (in his blessed grave) and is pleased by the worship and
      good deeds of his Community [ummah] and saddened by the sins and
      disobedience.

      19.A loose, unbridled, camel never reaches it's destination and
      wherever it goes it is beaten and hit. A camel in a line (of camels)
      however, no matter how thin and weak it is, definitely will reach
      it's destination.

      20.The body has been given to use, and not to nourish and make fat:

      You must awake, so awaken now, whilst beneath the heavens' shadow

      You shall have until Judgement Day to sleep --beneath the earth's
      shadow!

      21.By putting one's head on the dust (in prostration), a man becomes
      purified:

      What right do we have to put our feet on the ground

      When, in prostration, we've never put our head on the ground?

      22.Do not stay in the company of people with incorrect beliefs
      [aqidah], in fact do not even sit where they have sat.

      23.Wherever the water touches during wudu'[ritual washing], that
      place will not burn in the hellfire.

      24.If after mendicancy [faqr], the faqir becomes a dog of the world
      [dunya] again;

      The fool after being purified, has become embroiled in filth again!

      25.In the verse of Surah Fatiha, `Guide us to the straight path, the
      path of those whom You have favoured', there is proof of taqlid and
      its

      necessity.

      26."Fatta bi `u millata Ibrahima hanifa'n". There have been 124, 000
      prophets but this command, "Therefore follow the religion of Ibrahim

      who was separate from every falsehood" proves that it is obligatory
      [fard] to do taqlìd of an Imam.

      27.Everybody's grave will be dark but the grave of those who pray the
      tahajjud prayer will be full of light. The reading of the Ayat ul
      Kursi

      (Verse of the Throne) after each prayer (namaz), and the Sura
      (beginning with)Tabarakulladhi each night will definitely result in
      there

      being no punishment in the grave.

      28.Just as it is obligatory [fard] to send blessings [durud] upon the
      Holy Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) during the prayer [salat],
      likewise it is also obligatory to send blessings [durud] upon his
      Family [Å l], otherwise the prayer will not be (valid).

      29.Nothing is had before it has been destined [qismat] and before
      it's appointed time [waqt].

      30.Allah Ta'aala has created the heart [dil] for his remembrance
      [dhikr], and has not created it for worries.

      31.When people from previous nations sinned, there faces used to
      metamorphose but His Excellency, the Holy Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi
      wa sallam), declared, "Allah the Pure will not change the faces of
      those who believe in me."

      32.The Day of Judgement [qiyamat] will come when from amongst Allah's
      servants, no one remains to pronounces Allah's name.

      33.Respect the great men of religion [buzurg], if they become angry
      (with you) then there is no hope for salvation. To insult one is to
      insult them all. If a chicken lays a rotten egg, then even if that
      one egg is placed beneath a thousand other chickens, a chick will
      never emerge from that egg.

      34.Read the Word of Allah (Qur'an) only for Allah. Reading it for
      worldly reasons [dunya], is like giving rubies in exchange for a few
      worthless pennies; it is another matter if, after reading for Allah,
      Allah Himself gives you worldly benefits for the sake of your reading
      (for Him).

      35.He who has no shame [ghairat] has no faith [iman].

      36.To accept an invitation (to dine) [dawah] is Sunnah. His
      Excellency the Holy Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) said that
      even if someone makes you an invitation which is at a distance of
      three miles away, and invites you for something simple, you should
      still attend.

      37.At the time of entering Madina Sharif , you must pay full
      attention to its etiquette [adab]. At the very least, one's facial
      appearance should be that of a Muslim: the latest fashions, and
      hairstyles, etc. should be avoided.

      38.If one wishes to give anything in the way of Allah, one should do
      so in one's own lifetime. After we die, neither our wife nor our
      children

      will give anything in our name; in fact, it will be difficult even
      for them to come to read the Fatihah at our graves!

      39.If there are ten people doing dhikr and one person who is
      abstaining [ghafil], the remembrancers [dhakir] will make the
      abstainer radiant too [nurani].Staying [suhbat] with company wherein
      Allah's dhikr is performed will bring contentment.

      40.It is said that after death the dead person does not receive
      spiritual reward [thawab]. The situation is this, that the soul does
      not die; when the soul does not die, why then will it receive no
      reward?!