Re: Where Oh Where is the Documentation????

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007

      > We are working on a more comprehensive user manual.
      >
      > > The Help system is of no help either. It's just not intuitive enough
      > > for me to guess what "Previous Symbol" or "Next Symbol" means, as
      > > an example.
      >
      > "Next Symbol" jumps to the next symbol. Symbols are also displayed in
      > the Symbol Popup, next to the line number indicator in the top status
      > bar.

      Thanks for your reply Martin. I really do appreciate your attempt at explaining the purpose
      of the example I brought up, but seriously, if you put yourself in my place of not ever
      having seen SubEthaEdit before then you will see that I still have no idea what Symbols are
      or how they are used. I gathered that the buttons took you to the next one or the previous
      one, since that is how they are labeled. And I can only guess at what they are used for or
      how one goes about creating one. What I *want* them to do is to allow me to place
      markers in my file so I can quickly hop around from place to place.

      Also what I want is an easy way to make scripts without having to dive headfirst into
      Applescript. Can I record a series of actions into a script? 3 of my favorite scripts that I use
      in BBEdit are F5=finds next occurrence of the current selection forward in the file,
      F6=finds it backwards, and F7=finds selection anywhere as a label (i.e., starts in col#1).
      So, how would I do this in SubEthaEdit?

      I did manage to make my own Mode file (for a Freescale MC9S08) using another mode file
      as a template. It works but I don't really know what I'm doing.

      If I had a decent manual and can easily add scripts to this, I'd buy it. Right now I'm on the
      fence, cause I like what I see in SubEthaEdit but I can navigate easier and more quickly
      through my edit with BBEdit.

      Get me a manual before my 30 days expire, OK? :)