Re: [SubEthaEdit] Where Oh Where is the Documentation????

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
      On 03.03.2007, at 18:54, Richard wrote:

      > I've searched the SubEthaEdit web site till I'm blue in the face
      > and can NOT find anything that
      > resembles a user manual.

      We are working on a more comprehensive user manual.

      > The Help system is of no help either. It's just not intuitive enough
      > for me to guess what "Previous Symbol" or "Next Symbol" means, as
      > an example.

      "Next Symbol" jumps to the next symbol. Symbols are also displayed in
      the Symbol Popup, next to the line number indicator in the top status
      bar.

    • Richard
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007

        > We are working on a more comprehensive user manual.
        >
        > > The Help system is of no help either. It's just not intuitive enough
        > > for me to guess what "Previous Symbol" or "Next Symbol" means, as
        > > an example.
        >
        > "Next Symbol" jumps to the next symbol. Symbols are also displayed in
        > the Symbol Popup, next to the line number indicator in the top status
        > bar.

        Thanks for your reply Martin. I really do appreciate your attempt at explaining the purpose
        of the example I brought up, but seriously, if you put yourself in my place of not ever
        having seen SubEthaEdit before then you will see that I still have no idea what Symbols are
        or how they are used. I gathered that the buttons took you to the next one or the previous
        one, since that is how they are labeled. And I can only guess at what they are used for or
        how one goes about creating one. What I *want* them to do is to allow me to place
        markers in my file so I can quickly hop around from place to place.

        Also what I want is an easy way to make scripts without having to dive headfirst into
        Applescript. Can I record a series of actions into a script? 3 of my favorite scripts that I use
        in BBEdit are F5=finds next occurrence of the current selection forward in the file,
        F6=finds it backwards, and F7=finds selection anywhere as a label (i.e., starts in col#1).
        So, how would I do this in SubEthaEdit?

        I did manage to make my own Mode file (for a Freescale MC9S08) using another mode file
        as a template. It works but I don't really know what I'm doing.

        If I had a decent manual and can easily add scripts to this, I'd buy it. Right now I'm on the
        fence, cause I like what I see in SubEthaEdit but I can navigate easier and more quickly
        through my edit with BBEdit.

        Get me a manual before my 30 days expire, OK? :)