Where Oh Where is the Documentation????

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 9:54 AM
      I've searched the SubEthaEdit web site till I'm blue in the face and can NOT find anything that
      resembles a user manual. The Help system is of no help either. It's just not intuitive enough
      for me to guess what "Previous Symbol" or "Next Symbol" means, as an example.

      How do we learn how to use this thing?
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 10:05 AM
        On 03.03.2007, at 18:54, Richard wrote:

        > I've searched the SubEthaEdit web site till I'm blue in the face
        > and can NOT find anything that
        > resembles a user manual.

        We are working on a more comprehensive user manual.

        > The Help system is of no help either. It's just not intuitive enough
        > for me to guess what "Previous Symbol" or "Next Symbol" means, as
        > an example.

        "Next Symbol" jumps to the next symbol. Symbols are also displayed in
        the Symbol Popup, next to the line number indicator in the top status
        bar.

      • Richard
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5 5:10 AM

          > We are working on a more comprehensive user manual.
          >
          > > The Help system is of no help either. It's just not intuitive enough
          > > for me to guess what "Previous Symbol" or "Next Symbol" means, as
          > > an example.
          >
          > "Next Symbol" jumps to the next symbol. Symbols are also displayed in
          > the Symbol Popup, next to the line number indicator in the top status
          > bar.

          Thanks for your reply Martin. I really do appreciate your attempt at explaining the purpose
          of the example I brought up, but seriously, if you put yourself in my place of not ever
          having seen SubEthaEdit before then you will see that I still have no idea what Symbols are
          or how they are used. I gathered that the buttons took you to the next one or the previous
          one, since that is how they are labeled. And I can only guess at what they are used for or
          how one goes about creating one. What I *want* them to do is to allow me to place
          markers in my file so I can quickly hop around from place to place.

          Also what I want is an easy way to make scripts without having to dive headfirst into
          Applescript. Can I record a series of actions into a script? 3 of my favorite scripts that I use
          in BBEdit are F5=finds next occurrence of the current selection forward in the file,
          F6=finds it backwards, and F7=finds selection anywhere as a label (i.e., starts in col#1).
          So, how would I do this in SubEthaEdit?

          I did manage to make my own Mode file (for a Freescale MC9S08) using another mode file
          as a template. It works but I don't really know what I'm doing.

          If I had a decent manual and can easily add scripts to this, I'd buy it. Right now I'm on the
          fence, cause I like what I see in SubEthaEdit but I can navigate easier and more quickly
          through my edit with BBEdit.

          Get me a manual before my 30 days expire, OK? :)