"Encoding Doctor"

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2006
      Where and how is this ecoding doctor used? I couldn't find any info on
      it on the site. Ok, I might not have looked VERY hard. Anybody have a
      link maybe?

      :-)

      Thanks,
      Eric
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2006
        On 20.12.2006, at 03:06, Eric wrote:

        > Where and how is this ecoding doctor used? I couldn't find any info on
        > it on the site. Ok, I might not have looked VERY hard. Anybody have a
        > link maybe?

        The encoding doctor comes up you if ty to convert a text to an
        encoding that can't represent all of its characters. (E.g. a text
        that contains umlauts "öüä" that is told to convert to "Western
        (ASCII)"). It gives you the chance to either convert those characters
        in a lossy fashion if possible (e.g. umlauts lose their diacritic
        mark, aka the dots) or lets you fix the problems manually and try to
        convert again.

        For a screen shot see http://codingmonkeys.de/blog/articles/
        2006/09/19/new-features-in-subethaedit-2-5