Re: Searching for french version

  • matgorb
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 14, 2006
      If you can help me getting started, I'm sure I can help with some french localization.
    • Alexander Henket
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
        Well, the first things you would need are:

        1. XCode installed. You can download the latest version of the Apple
        developer tools via:
        http://developer.apple.com/fr/

        The account is free. Alternatively you could install the version
        that came with your Mac. I always choose to install the devkits for
        older versions of Mac OS X as well to stay compatible

        2. A localization tool. I use iLocalize ($39, http://www.arizona-
        software.ch/applications/ilocalize), because I like it far better
        than alternatives such as the free suite LocSuite (http://www.blue-
        tec.com/locsuite/). This a matter of preference. You will need to get
        accustomed to any tool. iLocalize can be downloaded as well as a
        trial version.

        3. A talk with TheCodingMonkeys, Martin Pittenauer, if they are
        interested in your work in case you want to share it. I always do
        this when I'm done and satisfied with the end-result. I also
        localized lots of apps that I keep for myself, because I'm not
        satisfied with the result or not willing to support updates. Not
        every developer is willing to include a localization.
        TheCodingMonkeys are one of them, and they keep the localizations
        separate from the app in the Yahoo Group.

        --
        In iLocalize, choose File>New Project. Select the SubEthaEdit.app as
        your source, choose English as base language (or reference language),

        After you are done localizing 1119 strings, 89 HTML files, one
        ReleaseNotes.txt, you can generate the app and run it from the
        Application menu. You can do that intermediately as well too. Some
        strings are too big for the standard SubEthaEdit gui, others too
        small. Adjust this using Interface Builder (IB) on the nib files.
        Double click within iLocalize will do, to start IB. When you're
        completely done, export the project from the Project menu and it send
        to TheCodingMonkeys for upload to the files section of the Yahoo group.

        Localizing is a lot of work for the first version, especially if it
        is your first experience. The first version usually takes me two
        weeks or so. Most time goes into the html. Take your time, be
        critical to yourself, the learning curve may be steep. The good news
        is that updates are usually a breeze. Take those into account as
        well, because if you are going to share your work you want it to look
        good in this version, but you have to be prepared to keep it up to
        date too. A localization is only valid for one version of the
        application!

        Best of luck,

        Alexander

        Op 15-dec-2006, om 5:03 heeft matgorb het volgende geschreven:

        > If you can help me getting started, I'm sure I can help with some
        > french localization.

      • Alexander Henket
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
          I did a check: Based on the French glossaries from Apple in
          iLocalize, you can auto-translate 38% of the strings SubEthaEdit,
          leaving you 718 strings, 89 html files, release notes and Interface
          Builder stuff.

          Best of luck again.