Re: [SubEthaEdit] Searching for french version

  • Alexander Henket
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2006
      The Coding Monkeys do not create the localizations. Willing users do.
      If there is no willing user for a particular language, then it might
      never come. When a language has been created it is distributed
      separately under the Files section of the Yahoo Group. This imho
      pretty unfortunate way of distributing localizations currently only
      has Dutch and Danish for version 2.5.x.

      If you feel you could do the localization yourself, then you could
      offer that to Martin Pittenauer of the Coding Monkeys. I did just
      that for Dutch.

      Regards,

      Alexander Henket

      Op 29-nov-2006, om 10:53 heeft Milsou2002 het volgende geschreven:

      > Hi
      >
      > I was buy yesterday my copy of the soft but not in
      > french... When it can be avaible
      > Thanks

      > Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos
      > questions !
      > Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des
      > internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
      > http://fr.answers.yahoo.com

    • matgorb
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2006
        If you can help me getting started, I'm sure I can help with some french localization.
      • Alexander Henket
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
          Well, the first things you would need are:

          1. XCode installed. You can download the latest version of the Apple
          developer tools via:
          http://developer.apple.com/fr/

          The account is free. Alternatively you could install the version
          that came with your Mac. I always choose to install the devkits for
          older versions of Mac OS X as well to stay compatible

          2. A localization tool. I use iLocalize ($39, http://www.arizona-
          software.ch/applications/ilocalize), because I like it far better
          than alternatives such as the free suite LocSuite (http://www.blue-
          tec.com/locsuite/). This a matter of preference. You will need to get
          accustomed to any tool. iLocalize can be downloaded as well as a
          trial version.

          3. A talk with TheCodingMonkeys, Martin Pittenauer, if they are
          interested in your work in case you want to share it. I always do
          this when I'm done and satisfied with the end-result. I also
          localized lots of apps that I keep for myself, because I'm not
          satisfied with the result or not willing to support updates. Not
          every developer is willing to include a localization.
          TheCodingMonkeys are one of them, and they keep the localizations
          separate from the app in the Yahoo Group.

          --
          In iLocalize, choose File>New Project. Select the SubEthaEdit.app as
          your source, choose English as base language (or reference language),

          After you are done localizing 1119 strings, 89 HTML files, one
          ReleaseNotes.txt, you can generate the app and run it from the
          Application menu. You can do that intermediately as well too. Some
          strings are too big for the standard SubEthaEdit gui, others too
          small. Adjust this using Interface Builder (IB) on the nib files.
          Double click within iLocalize will do, to start IB. When you're
          completely done, export the project from the Project menu and it send
          to TheCodingMonkeys for upload to the files section of the Yahoo group.

          Localizing is a lot of work for the first version, especially if it
          is your first experience. The first version usually takes me two
          weeks or so. Most time goes into the html. Take your time, be
          critical to yourself, the learning curve may be steep. The good news
          is that updates are usually a breeze. Take those into account as
          well, because if you are going to share your work you want it to look
          good in this version, but you have to be prepared to keep it up to
          date too. A localization is only valid for one version of the
          application!

          Best of luck,

          Alexander

          Op 15-dec-2006, om 5:03 heeft matgorb het volgende geschreven:

          > If you can help me getting started, I'm sure I can help with some
          > french localization.

        • Alexander Henket
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
            I did a check: Based on the French glossaries from Apple in
            iLocalize, you can auto-translate 38% of the strings SubEthaEdit,
            leaving you 718 strings, 89 html files, release notes and Interface
            Builder stuff.

            Best of luck again.