Re: [SubEthaEdit] XMPP backend

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2006
      On 16.10.2006, at 18:00, m0k4t2 wrote:

      > I'm sure that this would be somewhat low on the list, but what about
      > transporting the BEEP protocol over XMPP? My company has a bunch of
      > devs on macs, and getting them on SEE would be real nice, but we also
      > run a tight ship and we don't multicast route, so Multicast DNS
      > (Bonjour) is right out. We do however, have a Wildfire (Jabber/XMPP)
      > server. Each SEE instance could connect to the server and others
      > would then be able to see who is online and talk back and forth, no
      > MDNS necessary. And it works across subenets and you get encryption
      > for free.

      SubEthaEdit does not require Bonjour or multicast routing to work.
      You can connect across networks by using the internet windows
      (Windows/Internet).

      If you are working in NATed enviroments you will have to forward a
      port however. (See http://codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/faq.html#router)

    • Moshe Katz-Hyman
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 2006
        Yeah, I know, I'm just figuring that with XMPP, you could get all the
        goodness and ease of use that mDNS gives you across subnets without
        the headaches of multicast routing.

        Moshe