XMPP backend

  • m0k4t2
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2006
      I'm sure that this would be somewhat low on the list, but what about
      transporting the BEEP protocol over XMPP? My company has a bunch of
      devs on macs, and getting them on SEE would be real nice, but we also
      run a tight ship and we don't multicast route, so Multicast DNS
      (Bonjour) is right out. We do however, have a Wildfire (Jabber/XMPP)
      server. Each SEE instance could connect to the server and others
      would then be able to see who is online and talk back and forth, no
      MDNS necessary. And it works across subenets and you get encryption
      for free.

      Moshe
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 2006
        On 16.10.2006, at 18:00, m0k4t2 wrote:

        > I'm sure that this would be somewhat low on the list, but what about
        > transporting the BEEP protocol over XMPP? My company has a bunch of
        > devs on macs, and getting them on SEE would be real nice, but we also
        > run a tight ship and we don't multicast route, so Multicast DNS
        > (Bonjour) is right out. We do however, have a Wildfire (Jabber/XMPP)
        > server. Each SEE instance could connect to the server and others
        > would then be able to see who is online and talk back and forth, no
        > MDNS necessary. And it works across subenets and you get encryption
        > for free.

        SubEthaEdit does not require Bonjour or multicast routing to work.
        You can connect across networks by using the internet windows
        (Windows/Internet).

        If you are working in NATed enviroments you will have to forward a
        port however. (See http://codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/faq.html#router)

      • Moshe Katz-Hyman
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2006
          Yeah, I know, I'm just figuring that with XMPP, you could get all the
          goodness and ease of use that mDNS gives you across subnets without
          the headaches of multicast routing.

          Moshe