Re: [SubEthaEdit] Re: Editing files on server

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23 2:05 PM
      On 23.08.2006, at 22:36, Cornelia Menzel wrote:

      > What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my
      > webserver that could be modified at the same time by various
      > persons. I have already uploaded a testfile to my server and I have
      > set the necessary rights, so that everybody could open and
      > modfiy it. But I am not able to connect to my server via the
      > Internet-Button as I have done to connect to your test server.

      > The only way I was able to modify a file at the same time as
      > another user, was activating 'Personal File Sharing' on my Mac and
      > so permitting access to the file for
      > others. I was not able to connect to my webserver via 'see://...'.
      > So my question is: What kind of tricks you are using to offer files
      > for everybody on your testserver?

      Ah. Now I understand the confusion. Sorry.

      First of all, SubEthaEdit can only connect to other SubEthaEdits for
      collaborative work, not to a webserver. The Internet button opens the
      internet browser, where you can establish a connection to another
      SubEthaEdit user that is not in your local network. For that you have
      to put her IP into the address field. (For help with setup and how to
      find out IPs, please have a look at http://codingmonkeys.de/
      subethaedit/nat.html)

      So long story short, our test server is actually a Macintosh running
      SubEthaEdit. To edit files directly on a webserver together I'd
      recommend to open them via Cyberduck and then invite your co-workers
      to that documents by first connecting to them via internet if the
      aren't in you local network (otherwise they are visible in the
      Bonjour browser) and dragging them onto the documents.

      If you had more of a wiki-like environment in mind the only solution
      at this time would be a Macintosh server and a bit of AppleScript.

      mfg,
      Martin
    • Cornelia Menzel
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23 2:18 PM
        Am 23.08.2006 um 23:05 schrieb Martin Pittenauer:

        > Ah. Now I understand the confusion. Sorry.
        >
        > First of all, SubEthaEdit can only connect to other SubEthaEdits
        > for collaborative work, not to a webserver. The Internet button
        > opens the internet browser, where you can establish a connection to
        > another SubEthaEdit user that is not in your local network. For
        > that you have to put her IP into the address field. (For help with
        > setup and how to find out IPs, please have a look at http://
        > codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/nat.html)
        >
        > So long story short, our test server is actually a Macintosh
        > running SubEthaEdit. To edit files directly on a webserver together
        > I'd recommend to open them via Cyberduck and then invite your co-
        > workers to that documents by first connecting to them via internet
        > if the aren't in you local network (otherwise they are visible in
        > the Bonjour browser) and dragging them onto the documents.
        >
        > If you had more of a wiki-like environment in mind the only
        > solution at this time would be a Macintosh server and a bit of
        > AppleScript.
        >
        > mfg,
        > Martin

        Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. That is exactly
        what I wanted to know.

        Kind regards,
        Cornelia