Re: [SubEthaEdit] Re: Editing files on server

  • Cornelia Menzel
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006

      Am 23.08.2006 um 22:12 schrieb Cornelia Menzel:

      --- snip ---

      What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my webserver that could be
      modified at the same time by various persons.

      Money Matters

      Yahoo! HotJobs!

      What are you worth?

      Y! Messenger

      Instant hello

      Chat in real-time

      with your friends.

      Y! GeoCities

      Be Interactive

      Create a conver-

      sation with blogs.

      .

      --- snap ---

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
        On 23.08.2006, at 22:36, Cornelia Menzel wrote:

        > What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my
        > webserver that could be modified at the same time by various
        > persons. I have already uploaded a testfile to my server and I have
        > set the necessary rights, so that everybody could open and
        > modfiy it. But I am not able to connect to my server via the
        > Internet-Button as I have done to connect to your test server.

        > The only way I was able to modify a file at the same time as
        > another user, was activating 'Personal File Sharing' on my Mac and
        > so permitting access to the file for
        > others. I was not able to connect to my webserver via 'see://...'.
        > So my question is: What kind of tricks you are using to offer files
        > for everybody on your testserver?

        Ah. Now I understand the confusion. Sorry.

        First of all, SubEthaEdit can only connect to other SubEthaEdits for
        collaborative work, not to a webserver. The Internet button opens the
        internet browser, where you can establish a connection to another
        SubEthaEdit user that is not in your local network. For that you have
        to put her IP into the address field. (For help with setup and how to
        find out IPs, please have a look at http://codingmonkeys.de/
        subethaedit/nat.html)

        So long story short, our test server is actually a Macintosh running
        SubEthaEdit. To edit files directly on a webserver together I'd
        recommend to open them via Cyberduck and then invite your co-workers
        to that documents by first connecting to them via internet if the
        aren't in you local network (otherwise they are visible in the
        Bonjour browser) and dragging them onto the documents.

        If you had more of a wiki-like environment in mind the only solution
        at this time would be a Macintosh server and a bit of AppleScript.

        mfg,
        Martin
      • Cornelia Menzel
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
          Am 23.08.2006 um 23:05 schrieb Martin Pittenauer:

          > Ah. Now I understand the confusion. Sorry.
          >
          > First of all, SubEthaEdit can only connect to other SubEthaEdits
          > for collaborative work, not to a webserver. The Internet button
          > opens the internet browser, where you can establish a connection to
          > another SubEthaEdit user that is not in your local network. For
          > that you have to put her IP into the address field. (For help with
          > setup and how to find out IPs, please have a look at http://
          > codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/nat.html)
          >
          > So long story short, our test server is actually a Macintosh
          > running SubEthaEdit. To edit files directly on a webserver together
          > I'd recommend to open them via Cyberduck and then invite your co-
          > workers to that documents by first connecting to them via internet
          > if the aren't in you local network (otherwise they are visible in
          > the Bonjour browser) and dragging them onto the documents.
          >
          > If you had more of a wiki-like environment in mind the only
          > solution at this time would be a Macintosh server and a bit of
          > AppleScript.
          >
          > mfg,
          > Martin

          Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. That is exactly
          what I wanted to know.

          Kind regards,
          Cornelia