Re: Editing files on server

  • Cornelia Menzel
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
      Thank you very much for your answers!

      I did not expressed myself very clearly. I am already using Cyberduck for uploading the
      files and, at the moment I need to make some changes, I can open the file with
      SubEthaEdit from server and after modifying it, saving the file on the server again. I was
      conscient of that.

      What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my webserver that could be
      modified at the same time by various persons. I have already uploaded a testfile to my
      server and I have set the necessary rights, so that everybody could open and modfiy it. But
      I am not able to connect to my server via the Internet-Button as I have done to connect to
      your test server.

      The only way I was able to modify a file at the same time as another user, was activating
      'Personal File Sharing' on my Mac and so permitting access to the file for others. I was not
      able to connect to my webserver via 'see://...'. So my question is: What kind of tricks you
      are using to offer files for everybody on your testserver?

      Would it be possible to accomplish that with an .Mac account? As I know, iDisk supports
      WebDav, what is - as I understand - necessary for sharing files.

      I hope, that I expressed myself more clearly now. I do not want anybody to connect to my
      Mac, so the idea was, to offer the file on the Webserver directly. But till now, I do not know
      how to do that.

      Thank you very much and sorry for my misleading initial post.

      Kind regards,
      Cornelia
    • Cornelia Menzel
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006

        Am 23.08.2006 um 22:12 schrieb Cornelia Menzel:

        --- snip ---

        What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my webserver that could be
        modified at the same time by various persons.

        Money Matters

        Yahoo! HotJobs!

        What are you worth?

        Y! Messenger

        Instant hello

        Chat in real-time

        with your friends.

        Y! GeoCities

        Be Interactive

        Create a conver-

        sation with blogs.

        .

        --- snap ---

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
          On 23.08.2006, at 22:36, Cornelia Menzel wrote:

          > What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my
          > webserver that could be modified at the same time by various
          > persons. I have already uploaded a testfile to my server and I have
          > set the necessary rights, so that everybody could open and
          > modfiy it. But I am not able to connect to my server via the
          > Internet-Button as I have done to connect to your test server.

          > The only way I was able to modify a file at the same time as
          > another user, was activating 'Personal File Sharing' on my Mac and
          > so permitting access to the file for
          > others. I was not able to connect to my webserver via 'see://...'.
          > So my question is: What kind of tricks you are using to offer files
          > for everybody on your testserver?

          Ah. Now I understand the confusion. Sorry.

          First of all, SubEthaEdit can only connect to other SubEthaEdits for
          collaborative work, not to a webserver. The Internet button opens the
          internet browser, where you can establish a connection to another
          SubEthaEdit user that is not in your local network. For that you have
          to put her IP into the address field. (For help with setup and how to
          find out IPs, please have a look at http://codingmonkeys.de/
          subethaedit/nat.html)

          So long story short, our test server is actually a Macintosh running
          SubEthaEdit. To edit files directly on a webserver together I'd
          recommend to open them via Cyberduck and then invite your co-workers
          to that documents by first connecting to them via internet if the
          aren't in you local network (otherwise they are visible in the
          Bonjour browser) and dragging them onto the documents.

          If you had more of a wiki-like environment in mind the only solution
          at this time would be a Macintosh server and a bit of AppleScript.

          mfg,
          Martin
        • Cornelia Menzel
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
            Am 23.08.2006 um 23:05 schrieb Martin Pittenauer:

            > Ah. Now I understand the confusion. Sorry.
            >
            > First of all, SubEthaEdit can only connect to other SubEthaEdits
            > for collaborative work, not to a webserver. The Internet button
            > opens the internet browser, where you can establish a connection to
            > another SubEthaEdit user that is not in your local network. For
            > that you have to put her IP into the address field. (For help with
            > setup and how to find out IPs, please have a look at http://
            > codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/nat.html)
            >
            > So long story short, our test server is actually a Macintosh
            > running SubEthaEdit. To edit files directly on a webserver together
            > I'd recommend to open them via Cyberduck and then invite your co-
            > workers to that documents by first connecting to them via internet
            > if the aren't in you local network (otherwise they are visible in
            > the Bonjour browser) and dragging them onto the documents.
            >
            > If you had more of a wiki-like environment in mind the only
            > solution at this time would be a Macintosh server and a bit of
            > AppleScript.
            >
            > mfg,
            > Martin

            Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. That is exactly
            what I wanted to know.

            Kind regards,
            Cornelia