Re: [SubEthaEdit] Editing files on server

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
      On 23.08.2006, at 20:09, Cole Tierney wrote:

      > The ftp client interarchy lets you edit files remotely using
      > SubEthaEdit:
      > <http://www.interarchy.com/documentation/8/
      > menus.html#menu_listing_editwitheditor>
      > The file is actually transfered via ftp before and after editting.

      I was about to suggest something similar. In fact most FTP client can
      work together with SubEthaEdit and transmit the file upon save.

      For a list have a look at the bottom of http://www.codingmonkeys.de/
      subethaedit/edit.html
      There are also free FTP applications that work with SubEthaEdit, like
      e.g. Cyberduck or Fugu. (The duck and the fish on the website above.)

    • Cornelia Menzel
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
        Thank you very much for your answers!

        I did not expressed myself very clearly. I am already using Cyberduck for uploading the
        files and, at the moment I need to make some changes, I can open the file with
        SubEthaEdit from server and after modifying it, saving the file on the server again. I was
        conscient of that.

        What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my webserver that could be
        modified at the same time by various persons. I have already uploaded a testfile to my
        server and I have set the necessary rights, so that everybody could open and modfiy it. But
        I am not able to connect to my server via the Internet-Button as I have done to connect to
        your test server.

        The only way I was able to modify a file at the same time as another user, was activating
        'Personal File Sharing' on my Mac and so permitting access to the file for others. I was not
        able to connect to my webserver via 'see://...'. So my question is: What kind of tricks you
        are using to offer files for everybody on your testserver?

        Would it be possible to accomplish that with an .Mac account? As I know, iDisk supports
        WebDav, what is - as I understand - necessary for sharing files.

        I hope, that I expressed myself more clearly now. I do not want anybody to connect to my
        Mac, so the idea was, to offer the file on the Webserver directly. But till now, I do not know
        how to do that.

        Thank you very much and sorry for my misleading initial post.

        Kind regards,
        Cornelia
      • Cornelia Menzel
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006

          Am 23.08.2006 um 22:12 schrieb Cornelia Menzel:

          --- snip ---

          What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my webserver that could be
          modified at the same time by various persons.

          Money Matters

          Yahoo! HotJobs!

          What are you worth?

          Y! Messenger

          Instant hello

          Chat in real-time

          with your friends.

          Y! GeoCities

          Be Interactive

          Create a conver-

          sation with blogs.

          .

          --- snap ---

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
            On 23.08.2006, at 22:36, Cornelia Menzel wrote:

            > What I now want to do know is having one or more files on my
            > webserver that could be modified at the same time by various
            > persons. I have already uploaded a testfile to my server and I have
            > set the necessary rights, so that everybody could open and
            > modfiy it. But I am not able to connect to my server via the
            > Internet-Button as I have done to connect to your test server.

            > The only way I was able to modify a file at the same time as
            > another user, was activating 'Personal File Sharing' on my Mac and
            > so permitting access to the file for
            > others. I was not able to connect to my webserver via 'see://...'.
            > So my question is: What kind of tricks you are using to offer files
            > for everybody on your testserver?

            Ah. Now I understand the confusion. Sorry.

            First of all, SubEthaEdit can only connect to other SubEthaEdits for
            collaborative work, not to a webserver. The Internet button opens the
            internet browser, where you can establish a connection to another
            SubEthaEdit user that is not in your local network. For that you have
            to put her IP into the address field. (For help with setup and how to
            find out IPs, please have a look at http://codingmonkeys.de/
            subethaedit/nat.html)

            So long story short, our test server is actually a Macintosh running
            SubEthaEdit. To edit files directly on a webserver together I'd
            recommend to open them via Cyberduck and then invite your co-workers
            to that documents by first connecting to them via internet if the
            aren't in you local network (otherwise they are visible in the
            Bonjour browser) and dragging them onto the documents.

            If you had more of a wiki-like environment in mind the only solution
            at this time would be a Macintosh server and a bit of AppleScript.

            mfg,
            Martin
          • Cornelia Menzel
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006
              Am 23.08.2006 um 23:05 schrieb Martin Pittenauer:

              > Ah. Now I understand the confusion. Sorry.
              >
              > First of all, SubEthaEdit can only connect to other SubEthaEdits
              > for collaborative work, not to a webserver. The Internet button
              > opens the internet browser, where you can establish a connection to
              > another SubEthaEdit user that is not in your local network. For
              > that you have to put her IP into the address field. (For help with
              > setup and how to find out IPs, please have a look at http://
              > codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/nat.html)
              >
              > So long story short, our test server is actually a Macintosh
              > running SubEthaEdit. To edit files directly on a webserver together
              > I'd recommend to open them via Cyberduck and then invite your co-
              > workers to that documents by first connecting to them via internet
              > if the aren't in you local network (otherwise they are visible in
              > the Bonjour browser) and dragging them onto the documents.
              >
              > If you had more of a wiki-like environment in mind the only
              > solution at this time would be a Macintosh server and a bit of
              > AppleScript.
              >
              > mfg,
              > Martin

              Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. That is exactly
              what I wanted to know.

              Kind regards,
              Cornelia