Re: [SubEthaEdit] Re: Updating the Makefile mode

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2009
      On 19.08.2009, at 16:49, jtgroth007 wrote:

      > I noticed similar behavior in the PHP-HTML mode and I filed a bug
      > for it (SEE-3865). As excited as I am for the code folding, I had to
      > downgrade to 3.2.1, because the inconsistent and erratic syntax
      > coloring was proving to be a distraction and decreasing my
      > productivity.

      Not sure these issues are related.
      I'm sorry for the bug however. We will try to address it for 3.5.1
      which should be due in about 2 weeks.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2009

        > On 15.08.2009, at 15:16, michael_j_barber wrote:
        >
        > > First, the keywords are not colored as I would expect. As a specific
        > > example of the issue, consider the following two lines:
        > > SHELL=/bin/sh
        > > SHELL = /bin/sh
        > > The SHELL in the first line is colored as a keyword, the SHELL in
        > > the second is not. Some keywords don't ever seem to be colored. This
        > > happens with the unmodified Makefile mode as downloaded from the codingmonkeys.de
        > > website, before I make any changes. I really don't have any idea
        > > why this is. The definitions seem consistent with how keywords are
        > > given in other modes, so I suspect it may have something to do with
        > > the state definitions.
        >
        > Is = part of <charsintokens> in your case?

        No, it is not. The contents of <charsintokens> is:
        <![CDATA[_0987654321abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ@-.]]>

        It looks like SHELL should be identified as a separate token in either case. Looks like it could be a bug, as Jeff Groth suggests.

        > > Second, where should states actually be defined? The C mode has all
        > > states as substates of the default state. The current Makefile mode
        > > has a default mode and two other modes (SingleComment and String) at
        > > the same level. What makes more sense, here?
        >
        > Usually the default state is a parent to all other states.

        Why, though? The makefile mode has them separate, and it doesn't seem to cause any harm. I'm looking for understanding of the options.

        I suppose I should make clear at this point that, even though I'm listed on the modes page as a contributor for the Makefile mode, I had nothing to do with the definition of the syntax -- all I did was add the script and triggers for files with the standard names for makefiles.

        > > That is, a command block starts with a tab at the beginning of a
        > > line and ends with a linefeed or carriage return that is not
        > > followed by a tab. The keywords are imported from the default state,
        > > and the SingleComment and String states are linked. Note that a
        > > single <import /> wouldn't work, as it would lead to nested blocks
        > > instead of keeping consecutive tab-indented lines in the same block.
        >
        > <import> imports the contents of a state into another. I.e. if you
        > want to create a state that behave like the default, but with
        > additional state, import is the way to go. You have to provide a frame
        > (state/begin/end) to import into.
        >
        > <state-link> places an existing state as a child into another state.
        > I.e. if you want to have the string state in another state, with begin/
        > end conditions intact.

        Thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot.

        > > Should I just accept this edge case, or is there a solution?
        >
        > I tend to use .(?=[\n\r]) in these cases to have proper state
        > termination.

        Ah, that does it. I had not properly understood how SEE handles the states. For others who might have had the same confusion, colorization of the state includes the begin and end text, while the folding excludes it. Rather a nice solution for just this case!
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2009
          On 19.08.2009, at 18:39, michael_j_barber wrote:

          > It looks like SHELL should be identified as a separate token in
          > either case. Looks like it could be a bug, as Jeff Groth suggests.

          Indeed I identified this as a bug we will fix for 3.5.1. It causes
          some keyword groups to not highlight consistently currently. Sorry for
          that. Took me a while to catch it.

          > > Usually the default state is a parent to all other states.
          > >
          > Why, though? The makefile mode has them separate, and it doesn't
          > seem to cause any harm. I'm looking for understanding of the options.

          The default mode has no entry conditions and is the starting point for
          the parser. Any state with starting conditions that is neither
          referenced nor included is only handled correctly because the syntax
          definition parser is very liberal to maintain backwards compatibility
          with definitions made before we had nested states.

          So, in short, not having states as childs of default works, but should
          be avoided.