Adapting modes for folding

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2009
      First, I want to say how impressed I am with the new folding features. While I (obviously!) haven't yet had much chance to use this new feature, it seems to be extremely well done.

      There are a couple of modes I use that haven't been updated. By looking through the example in the mode SDK, it seems pretty straightforward: just add foldable="yes" to appropriate states defined in SyntaxDefinition.xml for the mode. The hardest part, then, would be adding relevant states for modes that lack them.

      Is that really all there is to it? Any other tips to know or pitfalls to beware of?
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2009
        On 11.08.2009, at 20:29, michael_j_barber wrote:
        > There are a couple of modes I use that haven't been updated. By
        > looking through the example in the mode SDK, it seems pretty
        > straightforward: just add foldable="yes" to appropriate states
        > defined in SyntaxDefinition.xml for the mode. The hardest part,
        > then, would be adding relevant states for modes that lack them.

        That's the basic idea.
        > Is that really all there is to it? Any other tips to know or
        > pitfalls to beware of?

        As always I'd advice to have a look at the modes we ship for the
        "state of the art" in terms of black voodoo mode creation. ;)

        C.mode is pretty straight forward, XML.mode is a bit more advanced,
        PHP-HTML.mode or ERB.mode are pretty complicated.

        I put some advanced features in the engine for fine-tuning and edge
        cases, that we haven't yet documented, mainly because I want the dust
        to settle a bit before we commit to "public API". So there is some
        "headroom" should you run into a wall. In any case, let me know if
        have trouble, I'm here to help and to learn how to make this stuff
        more approachable for people not sitting in this office. ;)

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2009
          Thanks for the confirmation. It looks like I will need to define some states for a couple of modes, so I'm sure I'll be following up soon with some questions along those lines.

          I've already noticed a bit of the modal dark arts in the Python mode. Very intriguing!