Re: Linux/Win Clients

  • Steve Mokris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009
      --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, "jcostanzo2004" <jcostanzo2004@...> wrote:

      > I am wondering if there was a client only version for another operating system. I really love this application but the people I help and help me do not own a mac. So would be cool is there was a client only app that can connect to a server that is running a mac. If there is already one could you let me know what the app is.

      Check out Gobby ( http://gobby.0x539.de/ ). It's not compatible with SubEthaEdit, but it provides some similar collaborative text editing features.

      But, agreed --- cross-platform compatibility would be wonderful, although I understand this would essentially require a ground-up rewrite.

      SubEthaEdit Team: would you consider publishing the communication protocol, so other applications can integrate with SubEthaEdit? Then, perhaps, others could add support to existing open-source Windows and Linux text editors (and Gobby could then seamlessly interoperate with SubEthaEdit?).

      Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009
        On 27.04.2009, at 20:53, Steve Mokris wrote:

        > SubEthaEdit Team: would you consider publishing the communication
        > protocol, so other applications can integrate with SubEthaEdit?

        Interoperability between collaborative editors is a hard problem, that
        extends beyond just standardizing communications, due to the nature of
        the text transformations involved.

        We have (some) cross-platform support on our roadmap for the mid- to
        long-term however.

      • jcostanzo2004
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2009
          Thanks for the replies. Yes it would be nice for cross platform. I understand that this would be difficult to implement. I will just wait and see. Someday