Linux/Win Clients

  • jcostanzo2004
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 11:10 AM
      I am wondering if there was a client only version for another operating system. I really love this application but the people I help and help me do not own a mac. So would be cool is there was a client only app that can connect to a server that is running a mac. If there is already one could you let me know what the app is.
    • Steve Mokris
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27 11:53 AM
        --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, "jcostanzo2004" <jcostanzo2004@...> wrote:

        > I am wondering if there was a client only version for another operating system. I really love this application but the people I help and help me do not own a mac. So would be cool is there was a client only app that can connect to a server that is running a mac. If there is already one could you let me know what the app is.

        Check out Gobby ( http://gobby.0x539.de/ ). It's not compatible with SubEthaEdit, but it provides some similar collaborative text editing features.

        But, agreed --- cross-platform compatibility would be wonderful, although I understand this would essentially require a ground-up rewrite.

        SubEthaEdit Team: would you consider publishing the communication protocol, so other applications can integrate with SubEthaEdit? Then, perhaps, others could add support to existing open-source Windows and Linux text editors (and Gobby could then seamlessly interoperate with SubEthaEdit?).

        Steve
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27 12:49 PM
          On 27.04.2009, at 20:53, Steve Mokris wrote:

          > SubEthaEdit Team: would you consider publishing the communication
          > protocol, so other applications can integrate with SubEthaEdit?

          Interoperability between collaborative editors is a hard problem, that
          extends beyond just standardizing communications, due to the nature of
          the text transformations involved.

          We have (some) cross-platform support on our roadmap for the mid- to
          long-term however.

        • jcostanzo2004
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28 2:07 PM
            Thanks for the replies. Yes it would be nice for cross platform. I understand that this would be difficult to implement. I will just wait and see. Someday