Re: [SubEthaEdit] Extracting plain text from .seetext with Applescript

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2008
      On 20.08.2008, at 17:08, Vaughan McAlley wrote:

      > ...the first line of the Lua file contains the path and filename I
      > want to save to (commented):
      >
      > --Macintosh HD:test.lua
      >
      > The result ends up like this:
      > http://mcalley.net.au/see/result.png

      I just tried your script and it worked as intended on my machine. What
      encoding does your lua file usually have? Are you working on Tiger or
      Leopard? Intel or PPC?

      > ...with every data byte preceded by zero. Is there a fix for this,
      > or a simpler way that I haven't been able to find?

      A simpler way would be to use the plain text copy that is stored
      within the .seetext for convenience. Seetext files are bundles, a kind
      of fancy folder that gets treated like a file by the Finder.

      Besides the documents history, its metadata and QuickLook preview, we
      also store a redundant plain text version one can access without
      SubEthaEdit or use for compiling an the like in this folder.

      To access the plain text you can use (for this example) "lua
      test.lua.seetext/plain.txt"

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2008
        A simpler approach for saving from a script would be to just have SubEthaEdit save the
        document directly. For example, to save your file to the desktop, I'd do this:

        tell application "SubEthaEdit" to save the front document in POSIX file
        "/Users/mjb/Desktop/test.lua"

        No idea if that would help with the zeros you mention, but I'd guess not -- looks more
        like a file encoding issue. Try UTF-8 and see if the problem goes away.

        --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, "Vaughan McAlley" <ockegheim@...> wrote:

        > I've been happily coding with SubEtherEdit for years. I'm curious about the
        > SubEther Text format, which I think would great for keeping track of changes
        > over time.
        >
        > I want to be able to instantly save a plain text version of the file in a
        > relevant place to compile or run. I wrote the following applescript (full
        > source is at http://mcalley.net.au/see/SaveAsPlainText.zip )
        >
        > tell application "SubEthaEdit"
        > set fileContents to plain text of the document of the front window
        > end tell
        >
        > set commentMarker to "--" -- Lua comments
        > set firstLine to first paragraph of fileContents
        > set filePath to trim_line(firstLine, commentMarker, 0)
        > my write_to_file(fileContents, filePath, false)
        >
        > ...the first line of the Lua file contains the path and filename I want to
        > save to (commented):
        >
        > --Macintosh HD:test.lua
        >
        > The result ends up like this:
        > http://mcalley.net.au/see/result.png
        > ...with every data byte preceded by zero. Is there a fix for this, or a
        > simpler way that I haven't been able to find?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Vaughan

      • ockegheim
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2008

          > A simpler way would be to use the plain text copy that is stored
          > within the .seetext for convenience. Seetext files are bundles, a kind
          > of fancy folder that gets treated like a file by the Finder.
          >
          > Besides the documents history, its metadata and QuickLook preview, we
          > also store a redundant plain text version one can access without
          > SubEthaEdit or use for compiling an the like in this folder.
          > To access the plain text you can use (for this example) "lua
          > test.lua.seetext/plain.txt"

          Aha, I tried making a symbolic link called test.lua that pointed to
          plain.txt and it works! As often seems to be the case, it has to be a
          symbolic link and not just a MacOS alias. I suspected there would be a
          simpler way.

          > I just tried your script and it worked as intended on my machine. What
          > encoding does your lua file usually have? Are you working on Tiger or
          > Leopard? Intel or PPC?

          It doesn't matter now, but I'm back in the dark ages with a 2004 eMac
          PPC running Tiger. I use UTF-8 with CRLF line endings for the Windows
          people.

          Thank you for the prompt replies!
          Vaughan