Re: AppleEvent TimedOut

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 3:55 AM
      --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, "underdoeg" <underdoeg@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone.
      >
      > I am trying to compile the currently open as code file with mxmlc. It did work actually.
      But
      > then suddenly I got the following error message:
      >
      > SubEthaEdit got an error: AppleEvent timed out. (-1712)

      AppleScript doesn't wait forever for a response. IIRC, it times out after a minute. If your
      compile takes longer than that, you'll get the error above.

      Try wrapping your call to the compile in a "with timeout" statement. It should look
      something like

      with timeout of (60*30) seconds
      compileDocument()
      end timeout

      That gives 30 minutes for the compilation to complete.

      Wrap it in a try to handle any error that still comes through.
    • underdoeg
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 9:50 AM
        Tanks for your quick reply.

        I already set the timeout. But that didn't work. But with the try I can at least show a decent
        error message. Thanks.

        I don't really think it has something to do with the time my script takes because it works
        perfectly when i run it out of script editor and the timeOut message appears right after I
        try to run it from SubEtha. A timeout should at least take a few seconds before happening
        or am I wrong?

        I recoded the whole thing now and will start it as an application for the moment. If it
        works the way I'm expecting it, Ill post it here

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4 12:25 AM
          The timeout should definitely take a while. I misunderstood what you meant when you
          said you "suddenly" got the error - I thought it was indicative of an unexpected change,
          rather than about the timing.

          Your description seems consistent with the warning given at the bottom of this page:
          <https://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/scripting.html>. Could that be it?

          I'd think that your scripts should be mostly the same as what I did for invoking LaTeX.
          There's a basic description here:
          <http://appliedabstraction.blogspot.com/2007/07/seeing-latex-6-typesetting.html>.
          Maybe it will be of help. Later posts in the series refine the ideas; you might find the set
          of AppleScript handlers at <http://appliedabstraction.blogspot.com/2008/01/seeing-
          latex-19-subethaedittools-or.html> to be of use.