Re: Is it possible to use the see command line tool in a mode script?

  • dasgeniedotcom
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 10:38 PM
      I can explain this issue, it is based on the synchronous nature of
      applescript. when you start running an applescript in subethaedit, and
      then try to run something that in turn wants to tell subethaedit
      something which is not based in the same script, then subethaedit
      blocks and both scripts time out eventually.

      I run into the same problem when telling xcode to build the current
      project. what xcode does is ask subethaedit again via applescript if
      there are unsaved documents and boom.

      what works in the applescript case is

      ignoring application responses
      end ignoring

      you can use this so you can send a non blocking applescript call

      Best,
      dom

      --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, "michael_j_barber"
      <michael_j_barber@...> wrote:

      > That is remarkably strange. I tried ending with & and redirecting
      the output to /dev/null
      > individually, neither of which worked, but it didn't occur to me to
      try the combination you
      > used. At any rate, thanks for the workaround!
      >
      > I can't believe that is the desired behavior, so I think I'll go
      ahead and file a bug a report
      > anyway.
      >

      > --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Groth <jtgroth.lists@> wrote:
      > >
      > > After some research and experimentation I was able to get the
      desired
      > > result with the following:
      > >
      > > do shell script "echo some text | /usr/bin/see &> /dev/null &"
      > >
      > > Jeff
      > >
      > > On Jan 8, 2008, at 1:06 PM, michael_j_barber wrote:
      > >
      > > > Consider the following three AppleScripts:
      > > >
      > > > -- script 1
      > > > do shell script "echo some text | /usr/bin/see"
      > > >
      > > > on seescriptsettings()
      > > > {displayName:"Pipe into see"}
      > > > end seescriptsettings
      > > >
      > > > -- script 2
      > > > do shell script "echo some text | open -f"
      > > >
      > > > on seescriptsettings()
      > > > {displayName:"Pipe into open"}
      > > > end seescriptsettings
      > > >
      > > > -- script 3
      > > > do shell script "echo some text | /usr/local/bin/mate"
      > > >
      > > > on seescriptsettings()
      > > > {displayName:"Pipe into mate"}
      > > > end seescriptsettings
      > > >
      > > > -- end scripts
      > > >
      > > > The three scripts are all similar in intent. You add them to a
      mode
      > > > and have an item added
      > > > to the mode menu. Each one produces the text "some text\n" and
      > > > pipes it into a shell
      > > > command to open a new document in an application. The first one
      > > > uses 'see' to open it in
      > > > SubEthaEdit, the second uses 'open -f' to open it in TextEdit, and
      > > > the third uses 'mate' to
      > > > open it in TextMate.
      > > >
      > > > The second and third scripts work fine. The first one does not.
      The