Re: Running Java

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
      After watching your screencast, I think it might be a good idea to extract out the core of
      the Compile and Run script, and see if we can't better isolate where it goes wrong.
      However, even with that, it might not be feasible to get things working as you hope; I'll
      comment on that after sketching out the structure of what the Compile and Run
      AppleScript is doing.

      All that really happens is that two shell commands are constructed, and passed to the shell
      using "do shell script". Based on the paths in your screencast, the first shell command is:
      javac -encoding UTF8 '/Users/peterj/classJava1/dakeDavid/prjDataType/DebugMe.java
      That would be run, in effect, from the root directory.

      The second shell command is:
      cd "/Users/peterj/classJava1/dakeDavid/prjDataType/" && java 'DebugMe'
      Again, it would be run from root, but it of course makes no difference in this case.

      Those might well be enough for you to see where the error comes from. If not, you could
      try each of those from the Terminal (remembering to "cd /" before each). If it still works,
      then it must be a difference between the shell environment and the environment provided
      by "do shell script". To experiment with that, pulling the core of the AppleScript into a
      separate AppleScript is useful, since then we can run it from Script Editor and put up alerts
      after each of the shell commands. Here's an appropriate AppleScript (more discussion

      -- begin script
      -- file path components
      set parentPath to "/Users/peterj/classJava1/dakeDavid/prjDataType/"
      set fileName to "DebugMe.java"
      set javaAppName to "DebugMe"

      -- reconstruct the file path that SubEthaEdit would normally provide
      set filepath to parentPath & fileName

      -- build compile and run strings
      set javacString to "javac -encoding UTF8 " & quoted form of filepath
      set execJavaString to "cd \"" & parentPath & "\" && " & "java " & quoted form of

      -- compile and show result
      set compileResult to do shell script javacString
      display alert "Compile succeeded" message ("Shell script: " & return & javacString & return
      & return & "Returned:" & return & compileResult)

      -- run and show result
      set runResult to do shell script execJavaString
      display alert "Run succeeded" message ("Shell script: " & return & execJavaString & return &
      return & "Returned:" & return & runResult)

      -- end of script

      With that, it should be feasible to experiment and identify where the problem occurs.
      Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Compile and Run is going to do what you want, even with
      changes. From the screencast, the DebugMe program seems to depend on interaction with
      the user. I don't think that's possible with "do shell script".

      All is not lost, however! There is another approach, which might be suitable. The Terminal
      is scriptable, and has a "do script" action. You could just construct a string containing a
      shell command along the lines of:
      cd "/Users/peterj/classJava1/dakeDavid/prjDataType/" && javac -encoding UTF8
      'DebugMe.java && java 'DebugMe'
      All that could be wrapped up in a new shell script, and added to a local Java mode for your

      At this point, I'm not sure what else to suggest. I'm willing to help further, if I can, but will
      need some more information.