Re: [SubEthaEdit] Re: Requiring files to end with a newline

  • Alexander Henket
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008

      I did not know about the Posix requirement. It sounds like silly requirement, but if it is a standard, than so be it. A lot of great minds thought about Posix, so who am I to judge that.

      I hope for your sake the feature request will be taken into account.

      Regards,

      Alexander Henket

      Op 10 jan 2008, om 17:37 heeft michael_j_barber het volgende geschreven:

      Ah, but it is intrinsic to languages and standards! Most relevant here is that POSIX defines
      a text file as being terminated with a newline. Various programs do make the assumption
      that they're working on text files that meet the definition, although most do cleanly handle
      files where the final newline is missing. Quite a few editors can enforce the condition; off
      the top of my head, vi, emacs, Eclipse, Alpha, Smultron.

      It's not just a personal preference. Quite the contrary - I'd prefer if all the tools I used
      were indifferent to whether there was a newline at end of file.

      Your suggested workaround is interesting, but doesn't sound very practical - attaching
      folder actions everywhere it might be needed sounds like it would only work on a rather
      small scale. I can think of a couple of other external approaches as well, none wholly
      satisfactory (e.g., a stay-open AppleScript that periodically checks each open SEE
      document, wrapping version control check-in to add a missing final newline,...) .

      At any rate, I've filed a feature request through the Coding Monkeys' bug tracker.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
        POSIX does contain a fair share of silliness - there's a lot of history driving it, too. It's not
        strictly a requirement, though, but rather a definition. Nothing prevents programs from
        handling both text-files-per-definition and text-files-but-for-the-final-newline, and
        most do handle both. It can be a real puzzle when you run into one that doesn't, though!