Re: Requiring files to end with a newline

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
      OK, I'll bite: how do you enforce it? The mechanics of adding a line feed are not a
      challenge. Invoking it automatically on every save - and preferably in a mode dependent
      fashion - is the hard part.

      I'll take it that SubEthaEdit cannot do this. I quite disagree with your expectation, though:
      I'd definitely expect this to be handled by an editor that works in a Unix environment,
      seeing as several command line tools treat the line feed as line terminators, not line
      separators.

      --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Henket <ahenket@...> wrote:

      > That sounds like a content requirement that I would not expect
      > SubEthaEdit itself to handle. However with the aforementioned sed
      > option or any other third party solution, you could still enforce it.
      >
      > Alexander Henket
      >
      > Op 9 jan 2008, om 10:09 heeft michael_j_barber het volgende geschreven:
      >
      > > I believe you have misread me. In the Format menu, you can set the
      > > line endings to be
      > > carriage returns, line feeds, or both. However, the file itself
      > > should end with a line feed,
      > > which is not enforced by setting "Use Unix/Mac OS X Line Endings
      > > (LF)". I'm looking for a
      > > way to require that.
      > >
      > > --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Henket <ahenket@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Under the Format menu you will find what you are looking for on per
      > > > document basis. In the Preferences you can set it for all new
      > > documents.
      > > >
      > > > Regards
      > > >
      > > > Alexander Henket
      > > >
      > > > Op 7 jan 2008, om 18:51 heeft michael_j_barber het volgende
      > > geschreven:

    • Alexander Henket
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008

        Your requirement is not something that is intrinsic to any language or standard, but just something you want done. As such I would not expect any editor at all to support that. To me this is like requiring to have two open lines between "Dear sirs," and the rest of the letter. It is not something you would expect an editor to enforce, it is a procedural thing for the user.

        Maybe you could make it a folder action with AppleScript and the sed command? I would not know if folder actions could work upon save, but if so it might be an option. It would even work beyond SubEthaEdit in that case.

        Regards,

        Alexander

        Op 10 jan 2008, om 09:05 heeft michael_j_barber het volgende geschreven:

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
          Ah, but it is intrinsic to languages and standards! Most relevant here is that POSIX defines
          a text file as being terminated with a newline. Various programs do make the assumption
          that they're working on text files that meet the definition, although most do cleanly handle
          files where the final newline is missing. Quite a few editors can enforce the condition; off
          the top of my head, vi, emacs, Eclipse, Alpha, Smultron.

          It's not just a personal preference. Quite the contrary - I'd prefer if all the tools I used
          were indifferent to whether there was a newline at end of file.

          Your suggested workaround is interesting, but doesn't sound very practical - attaching
          folder actions everywhere it might be needed sounds like it would only work on a rather
          small scale. I can think of a couple of other external approaches as well, none wholly
          satisfactory (e.g., a stay-open AppleScript that periodically checks each open SEE
          document, wrapping version control check-in to add a missing final newline,...).

          At any rate, I've filed a feature request through the Coding Monkeys' bug tracker.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008

            I did not know about the Posix requirement. It sounds like silly requirement, but if it is a standard, than so be it. A lot of great minds thought about Posix, so who am I to judge that.

            I hope for your sake the feature request will be taken into account.

            Regards,

            Alexander Henket

            Op 10 jan 2008, om 17:37 heeft michael_j_barber het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
              POSIX does contain a fair share of silliness - there's a lot of history driving it, too. It's not
              strictly a requirement, though, but rather a definition. Nothing prevents programs from
              handling both text-files-per-definition and text-files-but-for-the-final-newline, and
              most do handle both. It can be a real puzzle when you run into one that doesn't, though!