Re: Is it possible to use the see command line tool in a mode script?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2008
      That is remarkably strange. I tried ending with & and redirecting the output to /dev/null
      individually, neither of which worked, but it didn't occur to me to try the combination you
      used. At any rate, thanks for the workaround!

      I can't believe that is the desired behavior, so I think I'll go ahead and file a bug a report
      anyway.

      --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Groth <jtgroth.lists@...> wrote:

      > After some research and experimentation I was able to get the desired
      > result with the following:
      >
      > do shell script "echo some text | /usr/bin/see &> /dev/null &"
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > On Jan 8, 2008, at 1:06 PM, michael_j_barber wrote:
      >
      > > Consider the following three AppleScripts:
      > >
      > > -- script 1
      > > do shell script "echo some text | /usr/bin/see"
      > >
      > > on seescriptsettings()
      > > {displayName:"Pipe into see"}
      > > end seescriptsettings
      > >
      > > -- script 2
      > > do shell script "echo some text | open -f"
      > >
      > > on seescriptsettings()
      > > {displayName:"Pipe into open"}
      > > end seescriptsettings
      > >
      > > -- script 3
      > > do shell script "echo some text | /usr/local/bin/mate"
      > >
      > > on seescriptsettings()
      > > {displayName:"Pipe into mate"}
      > > end seescriptsettings
      > >
      > > -- end scripts
      > >
      > > The three scripts are all similar in intent. You add them to a mode
      > > and have an item added
      > > to the mode menu. Each one produces the text "some text\n" and
      > > pipes it into a shell
      > > command to open a new document in an application. The first one
      > > uses 'see' to open it in
      > > SubEthaEdit, the second uses 'open -f' to open it in TextEdit, and
      > > the third uses 'mate' to
      > > open it in TextMate.
      > >
      > > The second and third scripts work fine. The first one does not. The
      > > new SubEthaEdit
      > > document does not open, and SubEthaEdit becomes unresponsive. By
      > > killing the 'see'
      > > process using the terminal, you can actually get the document to
      > > open, however. Further,
      > > just running the AppleScript from the Script Editor works fine,
      > > with SubEthaEdit
      > > immediately opening the document.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions on getting this working? Is this a bug, or am I
      > > just missing something?

    • dasgeniedotcom
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
        I can explain this issue, it is based on the synchronous nature of
        applescript. when you start running an applescript in subethaedit, and
        then try to run something that in turn wants to tell subethaedit
        something which is not based in the same script, then subethaedit
        blocks and both scripts time out eventually.

        I run into the same problem when telling xcode to build the current
        project. what xcode does is ask subethaedit again via applescript if
        there are unsaved documents and boom.

        what works in the applescript case is

        ignoring application responses
        end ignoring

        you can use this so you can send a non blocking applescript call

        Best,
        dom

        --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, "michael_j_barber"