Connect across subnets

  • mechcozmo
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10 10:51 AM
      I use SEE on a university network. To take notes in class, my friends and I need to be able to
      connect to each other's computers. I have a hostname registered, and can ping my computer
      from their computer, etc. However, I cannot tell SEE to connect to my computer without
      using the Internet dialog box... which fails. (I think because it tries to go out to the internet,
      then come back in, which it doesn't need to do and is blocked for security concerns) Is there
      a way to tell SEE what computer to connect to on a local network, bypassing the Bonjour
      auto-discovery?
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17 5:17 AM
        On 10.09.2007, at 19:51, mechcozmo wrote:

        > I use SEE on a university network. To take notes in class, my
        > friends and I need to be able to
        > connect to each other's computers. I have a hostname registered, and
        > can ping my computer
        > from their computer, etc. However, I cannot tell SEE to connect to
        > my computer without
        > using the Internet dialog box... which fails. (I think because it
        > tries to go out to the internet,
        > then come back in, which it doesn't need to do and is blocked for
        > security concerns) Is there
        > a way to tell SEE what computer to connect to on a local network,
        > bypassing the Bonjour
        > auto-discovery?

        The "Internet" window allows (or should allow) you to connect to an
        arbitrary IP address. It won't connect to the internet if the IP is
        within your local subnet.

      • mechcozmo
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19 9:44 AM
          That isn't working. It worked _once_ but since then we haven't been able to re-
          establish a connection. SEE always times out, and even when we use a document URL, the
          other computer cannot resolve it. Is there any way to hop through these subnets?

          Brandon