Re: Trouble with collaborative edditing lately :s

  • thomazzl
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
      Hi, thanks for answering !

      I'm sorry, I'll post to the BugShelf next time.

      a) There was nothing about SubEthaEdit in console.log
      b) Is this really necessary ? I may be repeating myself but it seems to have something to do
      with my network more than with my account or computer. What's more, I already tried to
      throw away the preferences file so I've got a fresh new one. I don't think there's anything
      very interesting about it.
      c) I can always see my own picture, both in the internet/bonjour browser and when on a
      document.
      d) This time I know I'll be repeating myself if I say I don't think that it's the answer ;), here
      it is anyway : http://sergelebotaniste.free.fr/divers/System%20Profile.txt
      e) Reminds me I forgot to say that after a few minutes, the people I contacted are shown
      as "Connexion lost". I don't see any other problems.
      f) It changed nothing I'm afraid...

      I spend my time talking about my network and I didn't even tell what it was. So my
      modem/router is called Tecom AH4021. I've got three computers connected to it (the
      problem happens on the three) and huum, as I said, I mapped ports 6942 to 6951. I've got
      128-bit WEP enabled and... I don't know what else to say.

      Thanks again for your help.

      --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, "dasgeniedotcom" <dom@...> wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > actually the right place would be https://www.codingmonkeys.de/bugs/
      > we heard of your kind of problem, but thought we fixed most of the issues that could
      > result in such behaviour. So firstly we need more information:
      > a) Please look into /Applications/Utilities/Console.app in the console.log file if you can
      > find any lines that start with "SubEthaEdit[" (you can type this text into the search field in
      > the upper right). If you do, please send the lines to us
      > b) Please send us the file at ~/Library/Preferences/de.codingmonkeys.SubEthaEdit.plist
      > c) Please verify if you can see your own picture in the internet/bonjour browsers as well
      as
      > in the general preferences
      > d) Please send us your system profile ((Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info...
      ->
      > Save As... (Plain Text)))
      > e) Please tell us if SubEthaEdit behaves wrongly in any other kind of way.
      > f) Verify your "Me" Card in addressbook, and edit your email and aim information.
      >
      > Maybe we can help you if we know more,
      > best,
      > Dominik
      >
      > --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, "thomazzl" <thomazzl@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Don't know if this is the place to post this but I couldn't think of anywhere else and
      I'm
      > > very sad since I can't use collaborative editing.
      > > I've been using SubEthaEdit intensively for more than a year and everything was going
      > well
      > > until last week. Now when I contact somebody, I can't see his icon (a problem I could
      live
      > > with) but what's more important is that when I invite him on a document, I can only
      see
      > > what he writes for a few seconds. Then his cursor freezes. He says that he can still see
      > > what I write but I don't see what he writes. And when that person tries to contact me,
      he
      > > doesn't see my icon either and when inviting me on a document, nothing happens on
      > my
      > > computer (no invitation). I know the problems comes from me because I've got the
      same
      > > thing with SubEthaEdit's test machine while my friend has no trouble connecting to it.
      > >
      > > I've tried to reinstall SubEthaEdit but I knew it would do nothing because it seems to
      > have
      > > something to do with my network, not specifically my computer : the same problem
      > > happens with my other computers. But I did nothing to my network recently !! AFTER
      the
      > > problem started, I mapped a few new ports (6943 to 6951, I had only 6942 mapped
      > > formerly, but it didn't solve the problem :s) and that's all.
      > >
      > > I'm using SubEthaEdit 2.2 with free non-commercial use licence on Panther.
      > >
      > > Please help me !
      > >
      > > (Oh, and as usual : I'm french so please excuse my english mistakes)

    • dasgeniedotcom
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
        Hi,

        thanks for providing the information.

        If the network works and you can make connections it usually has to be something we do
        wrong in the program and network protocol. If the network fails, it should fail for all
        connection based network programs. Do you have problems when using other network
        software? (mail, web, file transfer, etc?). When people are shown as "connection lost" in the
        internet browser, that should mean that the network connection was broken somehow. But
        that should not cause images of users to not be shown or loaded - only when the
        connection is lost almost instantly. Maybe your network router does a reconnect all the
        time? If it does the connection is lost on every reconnect, and thats normal behaviour. You
        need a steady internet connection for SubEthaEdit to work. Another issue could be, if you
        are using wireless, that you have some interference with another wireless device, that
        causes your computer to loose and reconnect to your router all the time. Again this would
        cause the connections to be broken.

        From the information you provided it seems that you dont have a steady network
        connection. Does your iChat connection work? Or do you experience disconnect with iChat
        too?

        It's difficult to debug network problems remotely,

        best,
        dom

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2006
          I've got a wireless network indeed but apart from SubEthaEdit, everything is working fine. I
          have no problem using instant messaging softwares nor any other internet based
          programs.
          And I'm not sure, but wouldn't I see it in the menu bar if my computer was reconnecting to
          the network all the time ?
          And the problem happens even on the computer that is right next to the router.

          I'll just revise what I said about being contacted, because it seems to work after all. But
          once on the document, the same problem (I don't see what's written by the others and the
          connexion is lost after a few minutes) still happens.

          Don't... don't know how to say it en english but I'll live with the problem (I suppose) if you
          can't solve it. Thanks for your efforts ^^

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 18, 2006
            I changed absolutely nothing but it works again ! Don't know where it came from but I'm
            relieved, I was starting to wonder how I was going to live without collaborative editing.
            Sorry for bothering you !