185Extracting plain text from .seetext with Applescript

  • Vaughan McAlley
    Aug 20, 2008
      I've been happily coding with SubEtherEdit for years. I'm curious about the SubEther Text format, which I think would great for keeping track of changes over time.

      I want to be able to instantly save a plain text version of the file in a relevant place to compile or run. I wrote the following applescript (full source is at http://mcalley.net.au/see/SaveAsPlainText.zip )

      tell application "SubEthaEdit"
      set fileContents to plain text of the document of the front window
      end tell

      set commentMarker to "--" -- Lua comments
      set firstLine to first paragraph of fileContents
      set filePath to trim_line(firstLine, commentMarker, 0)
      my write_to_file(fileContents, filePath, false)

      ...the first line of the Lua file contains the path and filename I want to save to (commented):

      --Macintosh HD:test.lua

      The result ends up like this:
      http://mcalley.net.au/see/result.png
      ...with every data byte preceded by zero. Is there a fix for this, or a simpler way that I haven't been able to find?

      Thank you,
      Vaughan

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic