161Re: Requiring files to end with a newline

    Jan 10, 2008
      POSIX does contain a fair share of silliness - there's a lot of history driving it, too. It's not
      strictly a requirement, though, but rather a definition. Nothing prevents programs from
      handling both text-files-per-definition and text-files-but-for-the-final-newline, and
      most do handle both. It can be a real puzzle when you run into one that doesn't, though!

      --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Henket <ahenket@...> wrote:

      > I did not know about the Posix requirement. It sounds like silly
      > requirement, but if it is a standard, than so be it. A lot of great
      > minds thought about Posix, so who am I to judge that.
      >
      > I hope for your sake the feature request will be taken into account.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Alexander Henket
      >

      > Op 10 jan 2008, om 17:37 heeft michael_j_barber het volgende geschreven:
      >
      > > Ah, but it is intrinsic to languages and standards! Most relevant
      > > here is that POSIX defines
      > > a text file as being terminated with a newline. Various programs do
      > > make the assumption
      > > that they're working on text files that meet the definition,
      > > although most do cleanly handle
      > > files where the final newline is missing. Quite a few editors can
      > > enforce the condition; off
      > > the top of my head, vi, emacs, Eclipse, Alpha, Smultron.
      > >
      > > It's not just a personal preference. Quite the contrary - I'd prefer
      > > if all the tools I used
      > > were indifferent to whether there was a newline at end of file.
      > >
      > > Your suggested workaround is interesting, but doesn't sound very
      > > practical - attaching
      > > folder actions everywhere it might be needed sounds like it would
      > > only work on a rather
      > > small scale. I can think of a couple of other external approaches as
      > > well, none wholly
      > > satisfactory (e.g., a stay-open AppleScript that periodically checks
      > > each open SEE
      > > document, wrapping version control check-in to add a missing final
      > > newline,...).
      > >
      > > At any rate, I've filed a feature request through the Coding
      > > Monkeys' bug tracker.
      > >
      > > --- In SubEthaEdit@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Henket <ahenket@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Your requirement is not something that is intrinsic to any
      > > language or
      > > > standard, but just something you want done. As such I would not
      > > expect
      > > > any editor at all to support that. To me this is like requiring to
      > > > have two open lines between "Dear sirs," and the rest of the letter.
      > > > It is not something you would expect an editor to enforce, it is a
      > > > procedural thing for the user.
      > > >
      > > > Maybe you could make it a folder action with AppleScript and the sed
      > > > command? I would not know if folder actions could work upon save,
      > > but
      > > > if so it might be an option. It would even work beyond SubEthaEdit
      > > in
      > > > that case.
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > >
      > > > Alexander
      > > >
      > > > Op 10 jan 2008, om 09:05 heeft michael_j_barber het volgende
      > > geschreven:

      > > line
      > > preferably

      > > with

> [...]