event misccurd & sysodlog & sysonfo4?

  • gappana@yahoo.co.in
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
      Help please. Smile 1.80 and my own app were working nicely, then both
      stopped though no changes that I know of had been made to them or to
      the system, or even to their file locations. This also occurred a
      couple of weeks back, only that time it went away in an hour or two,
      again with no relevant action that I know of on my part. This time no
      such luck, it has been this way for more than two days.

      The message from the app is:
      <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event misccurd>> message".
      After this it is completely quiet and unresponsive, though as a run-
      only stay-open app it does stay open.

      Smile itself runs, only it refuses to open the script file with the
      message:
      "xxx doesn't understand the <<event sysonfo4>> message"
      where xxx is the full script filename.

      Also when pulling down script help, Smile reports:
      "Cannot find the root help file. You should put a new copy of
      the 'Smile help' filder into the 'Help' folder of the 'System folder'
      of the startup disk (or in Smile's folder)." doesn't understand the
      <<event sysodlog>> message.

      Smile help has been replaced without any change. Smile entirely has
      been reinstalled without any change. The desktop file has been
      rebuilt as recommended somewhere for the help file, no change.

      This is on a Powerbook G3 with System 8.6. Any ideas will be much
      appreciated.

      Gana
    • Clinton MacDonald
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
        Mr. (or Ms.) Gana:

        At 2:53 AM +0000 2001-07-25, gappana@... wrote:
        >Help please. Smile 1.80 and my own app were working nicely, then both
        >stopped though no changes that I know of had been made to them or to
        >the system, or even to their file locations.
        >[...]
        >
        >The message from the app is:
        > <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event misccurd>> message".

        The problem is more than likely *not* with Smile (nor, I assume, with
        Style, though you do not mention it in your post). AppleScripts
        showing the double brackets "<<>>" (French-style quote marks,
        actually) generally indicate that either (1) the target application
        is missing, (2) a Scripting Addition (OSAX) is missing, or (3) a new
        Scripting Addition uses the same terminology as an existing Scripting
        Addition.

        What is the target application of your Script? In other words, what
        is the application inside the quotes in your "tell application 'My
        Application'" line in your AppleScript? Have you installed any new
        applications or Scripting Additions lately? What does the AppleScript
        look like in Apple's Script Editor?

        Best wishes,
        Clint

        --
        \ Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald \ <mailto:cbbccm2@...>
        \ Cell Biology & Biochemistry\ 806/743-2703
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
          Marco:

          We are patiently waiting for a non-expiring beta of Style for OS X....

          ;-)

          Best wishes,
          Clint

          --
          \ Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald \ <mailto:cbbccm2@...>
          \ Cell Biology & Biochemistry\ 806/743-2703
          \ Texas Tech University HSC \ 806/743-2990 (FAX)
          \ Lubbock, TX 79430 \
          \ <http://www.grad.ttuhsc.edu/Grad/macdonald/>
        • Marco Piovanelli
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
            On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:57:39 -0500,
            Clinton MacDonald (cbbccm2@...) wrote:

            >Marco:
            >
            >We are patiently waiting for a non-expiring beta of Style for OS X....

            Whoops! Shame on me! I posted a new, non-expiring beta
            of Style for OS X about two weeks ago, then *failed* to
            alert the mailing list about this.

            Here's the link to the newest beta:

            <http://www.merzwaren.com/bin/style-19b4.tar.gz>

            I apologize for the delay.

            -- marco

            (who after using OS X on and off for several months, has
            decided to eventually switch back to 9.1, at least until
            10.1 becomes available.)

            --
            The right of free speech is indivisible.
            When one of us is denied this right, all of us are denied.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
              On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 02:53:33 -0000,
              Gana (gappana@...) wrote:

              >Help please. Smile 1.80 and my own app were working nicely, then both
              >stopped though no changes that I know of had been made to them or to
              >the system, or even to their file locations.

              [ ... ]

              >The message from the app is:
              > <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event misccurd>> message".
              >After this it is completely quiet and unresponsive, though as a run-
              >only stay-open app it does stay open.

              As Clinton said, the French quotes (guillemets) may indicate
              that a scripting addition is missing. What exactly is missing
              can be simply determined by compiling:

              <<event misccurd>>
              <<event sysonfo4>>
              <<event sysodlog>>

              on a healthy system. On my mac, the above lines yield:

              current date
              info for
              display dialog

              All these events are defined in the Standard Additions osax.
              You may want to make sure this scripting extension is properly
              installed in your system, and was not inadvertently deleted.
              It should reside in the "Scripting Additions" folder in your
              system folder.

              Just a thought.

              -- marco

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
                marco:

                At 5:05 PM +0200 2001-07-25, Marco Piovanelli wrote:
                >Whoops! Shame on me! I posted a new, non-expiring beta
                >of Style for OS X about two weeks ago, then *failed* to
                >alert the mailing list about this.

                Tsk, tsk, tsk! :-) Thanks, anyway!

                >Here's the link to the newest beta:
                >
                ><http://www.merzwaren.com/bin/style-19b4.tar.gz>

                Thanks!

                I noticed a new problem immediately -- although it smells like an OS
                X-wide problem rather than a Style-specific problem. When I
                double-clicked the new Style "ReadMe.style" icon in the same folder
                as the new Style application, it tried to open the file with the
                previous beta version of Style (which announced it had expired). When
                I trashed the previous beta version, double-clicking on the ReadMe
                file produced the notorious "Neverending Rainbow Wheel of Terror and
                Uncertainty," forcing me to Restart the Finder. I finally solved the
                problem by choosing "Get Info" for the ReadMe.style file, then
                telling it to associate all similar files with the new Style
                application (I don't remember the exact wording). However, this never
                would have happened with a previous Mac OS.

                >(who after using OS X on and off for several months, has
                >decided to eventually switch back to 9.1, at least until
                >10.1 becomes available.)

                I hear you! Though I am still struggling along with Mac OS X, it is,
                in fact, a *struggle*. I like many of OS X's features, but it often
                makes me want to scream (such as the situation I described above).
                However, Style on OS X is way cool -- don't give up on it.

                Best wishes,
                Clint

                --
                Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:cbbccm2@...>
                <http://www.grad.ttuhsc.edu/Grad/macdonald/>
              • David
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
                  <Wild Speculation> This may be completely unrelated but I noticed
                  something similar with dialogs in some of my scripts. I could not
                  explain it so I recompiled it with the dictionary definition and it
                  worked fine. The scripts also ran fine with the AppleEvent codes(1)
                  present. (eg <<event sysodlog>>) (probably the reason why I do not
                  remember when It happened)

                  (1) forgive me If I am using incorrect terminology

                  <note tested code>
                  display dialog msg icon note buttons {button1, button2} default
                  button button2

                  Usually the part that appears in French Quotes is the part that relates
                  to the icon choice.
                  In this case
                  'icon note'

                  I believe it started after I installed AppleScript 1.6 but this cannot
                  be verified.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 26, 2001
                    Thanks all, Clinton, Marco, David.

                    The problem is gone. You put me on the right track. Happiness
                    reigns, though not complete happiness because it is not quite clear
                    why the problem is gone.

                    In case you think of anything else, here is a quick review of what
                    was done. Having understood from you that Smile was not directly
                    involved, I verified the system was not corrupted. Next I checked
                    that the files in Scripting Additions were not corrupted, via
                    comparing checksums with backup copies. Then all scripting additions
                    but Standard Additions were removed -- same problem. All unnecessary
                    extensions and control panels were removed -- same problem. I
                    restarted after each change, so all this took a while. After
                    pondering for awhile, in order to continue other work I put
                    everything back, and just tried Smile one more time, no luck. Now
                    the interesting part -- out of habit I also tried my compiled script
                    again. It worked. A little puzzled, I immediately ran Smile again
                    to see what happened. It worked fine this time. All is well again.
                    What could this mean???

                    Clint, I had not made it clear -- the name inside the guillemets is
                    only the filename of the compiled script. There is no other
                    application involved, at least not until some delay based on time of
                    day.

                    David, your message reminds me that I too had similar trouble several
                    weeks back. I worked on other things for a day or so, and on return
                    to scripting, all was well again. What a puzzle!

                    Random notes: Only after an hour or two did it dawn on me that there
                    must be a reason that Clinton mentioned Style in his message. I can
                    now report that if you look at a screen without blinking for several
                    hours and then see the word Style, it looks just like Smile. I
                    accidentally wandered into the wrong group, and you helped me
                    anyway. And got a free education on guillemets, after all these
                    years of my thinking that someone at Apple had invented another handy
                    set of angle brackets. And an education on finding out about events,
                    Marco, very handy for someone new to Applescript.

                    Thanks again for all the help.

                    Gana (Mr.)