Re: [REBT-CBT-FORUM] Re: Micah, Will, Rex et al could you provide personal experiences of need versus strong desire

  • Jeff Klayman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010
      "Je begaie, donc je suis"!  (Descartes)
      "I stutter, therefore I am."

      Well, NOT Rene Descartes.  His brother Georges.
      thanks Rex,

      Rex Alexander wrote:
      Tue 3 Aug 2010, 12:05 pm
      Hi Jeff, all,
      Because REBT can seem very confrontive--both in the way that therapists sometimes interact with clients, as well as they way clients are instructed to dispute IBs, distorted thinking and automatic negative self-talk--it is easy to lose sight of the fact that much of REBT is about Acceptance, with a capital "A."   Once you successfully dispute "I must always speak fluently, and never stutter," you are left simply with:  I don't always speak fluently and I sometimes stutter. Once your arrive there, you may or may not decide to do more. That's up to you . . . But acceptance always comes first.
      I call this the "soft underbelly of REBT."  Gary Emery understood this early on in the development of REBT, and it seems that the "buzz" in CBT today places more emphasis on things like mindfulness and acceptance.
      It flows like this:
      I stutter.
      It's a bummer, but not the end of the world.
      So far, it has proved to be a very tenacious problem, but perhaps if I really work at it, I can gain some improvement.
      But even it I don't, I can live a reasonably happy life, have some laughs and some rewarding involvements eventhough I stutter.
      And while some people will  foolishly and stupidly  judge and reject me, some will not, and they are the ones who matter.  It is not necessary for everyone to accept and treat me kindly to have satisfying relations or a satisfying life.