My dissertation abstract

  • Gunars Neiders, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009

      Y’all,

      Finishing off my dissertation has been a greater task than I originally thought. However, I defended it, made a thorough job of editing and am about to get it bound.

      What follows is the title and abstract of my dissertation. I invite any and all to comment or ask questions about the dissertation:

      THEORETICAL DEVELOPMENT OF A PROPOSED RATIONAL EMOTIVE BEHAVIOR THERAPY BASED MODEL TO TREAT PERSONS WITH CHRONIC PERSEVERATIVE STUTTERING SYNDROME

      (Under the direction of Norman Mar, Ph.D.)

      This theoretical dissertation approaches chronic stuttering from a new, revolutionary point of view. First, the stuttering problem is defined holistically as Chronic Perseverative Stuttering Syndrome (CPSS) that includes dysfunctional ideation, emoting, behaviors, perceptions, and life choices of the person who stutters. The holistic definition addresses visible or audible speech and non-speech producing muscle anomalies, distortions of speech, avoidance behaviors while speaking, self-defeating attitudes and unhealthy negative emotions, and self-limiting general life choices. Second, building on the bio-psycho-social model, based on the neuropsychological and Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy framework, a stage-by-stage model of how developmental stuttering begins and perseveres throughout the lifespan is constructed. The model begins with epigenetic systems theory and subsequently addresses the pre-natal, birthing, and early language acquisition stages, while also addressing the classical and operant conditioning components of associating speech with danger and the development of secondary symptoms, respectively, which are implicated in the development and maintenance of stuttering throughout the lifespan. Third, focusing on REBT techniques the stutterer’s self-concept and mindset are deconstructed and a step-by-step therapeutic approach to modify the brain is presented. The therapeutic approach is meticulously delineated and begins by understanding the client’s worldview while outlining topics to be addressed and examining motivating factors in each specific stage. The author emphasizes changing the irrational (unhelpful) beliefs and unhealthy emotions that interfere with fluent speech and self-actualizing life choices into rational (helpful) beliefs and healthy emotions. The precision in the elucidation of the therapy steps is conducive to building a therapy manual to test out the effectiveness and efficiency of therapy. Because the therapy protocol is delineated in precise, yet accessible, detail, it is accessible to both psychologists and speech-language pathologists. Additionally, this dissertation as a whole captures the current zeitgeist of evidence based practice and is compatible with current searches for the application of psychology to the problem of stuttering.

      "Time to admit my mortality and put health as my priority! Can't have pleasure tomorrow, if I am not around tomorrow! :-)"

              Gunars

    • andres mendez
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009
        Gunars,

        the abstract of your dissertation sounds very interesting.

        I am not sure if you remember me. At the past NSA conference Luis, you and I did some voluntary stuttering right after your workshop. I remember I asked you about voluntary stuttering and the possible benefits. I do think that voluntary stuttering desensitizes one.

        I remember you emphasized the repetition of sounds when practicing voluntary stuttering. Do you think that the prolongation of sounds is equally effective?

        Sincerely,

        Andres Mendez

        the abstract sounds very interesting.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009

          Prolongation of the sound can be quite as effective if and only if one does not somehow start to believe that when a sound is prolonged it is different from stuttering. Both re-repetitions and prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrolongations of sounds are modalities of stuttering.

          By the way those of you who want my dissertation which is copyrighted can get a file of it either in .pdf or MS word format, just for asking. Ask on this group and I will send it to you privately.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2009
            Thanks,

            Just as I thought; the prolongation of sounds as a way to stutter voluntarily can be effective; I can feel it.

            And could you send me a copy of your dissertation in pdf, please?
            Thank you, again, Gunars.

            Sincerely,

            Andres Mendez

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 11, 2009

              I found a couple errors. Just as soon as I correct them, I will send you a copy. Although I do not have an index, I have a real detailed table of contents, so you can mark there which parts you would like to re-read.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 12, 2009
                Okay, Gunars. Thank you, very much.

                Sincerely,

                Andres Mendez

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2009

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2009

                    I want to see if the yahoo groups accept short power point presentation attachments. This is a good means to start a discussion.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2009

                      Andres and other,

                      Was anybody able to open the attachment?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 12, 2009
                        I was able to open the attachment,

                        Andres Mendez