Historical Documentation: BSS 307 1927 Street Lighting

  • Simon Cornwell
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 3, 2012
      I now have many of the early British Standard Specifications for street lighting, lantern construction etc., and will be uploading them to my website. Those who read the manufacturer's catalogues, or technical literature, will know about them but won't necessary know their contents.

      The first British Standard Specification for Street Lighting was number 307 issued in 1927. This was based on an illumination model, and was a natural extension of interior lighting practice and design. The rigidity of interior lighting can be seen in the "Units Of System" and "Test Points" of this standard.

      However, the standard did little to ensure consistant, evenly-luminated and well-lit streets. The authors of the standard had failed to appreciate the differences between interior lighting and street lighting. The standard was revised in 1931 and scrapped shortly afterwards.

      Unfortunately I don't have the full text of this standard, but have the definitions and two of the Appendices. These have been uploaded to my website. There you'll find reference to the road classes, minimum illumination, units of system, test points and control of glare.

      All the best,
      Simon
      www.simoncornwell.com/lighting

    • Simon Cornwell