Re: [StreetlightingUK] Re: 400w Mercury Streetlights

  • smuk_1994
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hi Claire

      Yes I would have bought the lanterns from you but the only problem would be picking them up.

      I have searched around my local depots but  Sefton used upto 250w SON-T in Urbis, Philips and WRTLs, Liverpool do indeed have loads of Alpha 3s but they are in poor condition and getting into their depot is like Fort Knox, unles I catch the electricians on site and slip them a few Quid, I am out of luck, St Helens and Wirral use Siemens MRL6s, Philips SGS203's Phosco P678s upto 250w.

      As I cant drive I have sort of in a whammy of collecting items out side Merseyside area.

      The Simplex Jupiter yes I remember them actually  I called the Frying pans as they looked like someon taped a huge frying pan onto a lighting column.

      Thanks for your Help

      Colin
      Claire <clairerichmond60@...> wrote:
      Hi Colin,

      I'm glad that you are pleased with the old lanterns you recently
      purchased from me. Re: your request for a 400W mercury lantern, I
      have for sale a Simplex Jupiter (VGC) for £35 and one of those big
      GEC Turtle lanterns (FC) £20 should you be interested, but they are
      far too big to post and would have to be collected. I hope this of
      some help to you.

      Hi Adam,

      There are still some very old lanterns around Wolverhampton,
      including REVO Lucidors (top entry and side entry examples), side
      entry REVO Dalek bowled 90W SOX lanterns, a few 35watt SOX REVO
      So'L'Dors, REVO MBF Bell-tops, Alpha 5's, Eleco's, etc. I do have a
      list of some of their locations, but you would probably need to buy
      an A to Z of the area to find them. If you intend to
      locate/photograph the survivors, can I suggest that you don't waste
      too much time, as the contractor's replacement program is relentless.

      Kind regards

      Claire

    • Chris Nelson
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 23, 2008
        Hello Christopher and welcome to the group.

        You may try, but believe me resisting the urge to collect is nigh on
        impossible!

        I myself often travel to Newcastle, and usually wind up at the
        Metrocentre... and I use the train so I pass a few estates on the
        Gateshead side near the Angel which are lit with the GEC SOX post-tops
        you mention (and some old geared phosco P107's from the looks of it too).

        Those old MBF post-tops you mentioned, for some reason I'm thinking
        about the DAVIS type post-tops... though not 100% on that.

        With regards,
        Chris.

        --- In StreetlightingUK@yahoogroups.com, "John David Thompson"