Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] Of No Relevance Whatsoever To Anything Else On Thi...

  • jdloc4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 6:20 PM
      I.e., The Ramones - this a tough one, at least for me, because I didn't listen to The Ramones until they were considered "cool" in the US - I guess when Mtv started showing their video I Wanna Be Sedated...so I'm not one to comment on the early part of their career, except to pass along any info that I've read about them (and retained in my memory!)...

      It's funny you mention The Ramones, because I had that similar question about The Clash - and how they were received when they were 1st starting out - and if they were legends in the making all along, or a bit ragged and dodgy at 1st...(and also how the US and UK perceived them differently over time).

      For many years now The Ramones have been revered in the US, but I'm not sure what the consensus was in the 70's and very early 80s.  From what I've read in music mags, it seems that The Ramones were looked down upon during their inception and early years - because of the simplistic and repetitive chords and lyrics - and that's it's only over time, and their influence on so many bands, that they have become such a musical inspiration.

      Just my take on the band from what I've read.  :)

      You could post your message to The Big Takeover Group, but they go through messages so fast, that many posts get lost in the mix...

      I, for one, can believe that there exists a small village in Scotland called Ramoan.  After all, there's a town called Disco in Tennessee (LOL)...

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2006
          All I know is that The Ramones have been written up in great detail
          in many a music magazine in the US over the past few years, and I
          don't know if that was purely for musical reasons, or because of all
          their personal problems and tragedies...The US music mags and
          certain critics and fans seem to be in adulation-phase of the band
          recently...I do like The Ramones, but I'm not gaga over them.

          Oh, and if you're not already a member of Jack Rabid's The Big
          Takeover Yahoo Group (The Big Takeover is an awesome indie music mag
          put out by Jack), you should definitely check it out because I think
          many of the bands you're into or were into may be represented
          there. The messages tend to fly fast 'n' thick and it's hard to
          jump in as a newbie, but it's a great message board...Here's the
          link:

          --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
          <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:

          > Actually you are right. The Ramones, like a lot of similar US
          bands, probably enjoyed more of a reputation here in the UK than in
          their homeland - and the 'sedated' video is a good one but unless
          you really get the cartoonery, and some of it does inevitably look a
          bit dated nowadays, then predictably another more artful and less
          obviously 'dumb' band will find their work has lasted more
          effectively. They (the Ramones)do retain an amount of popularity
          though.
          > As far as it goes about the village called Ramoan, this has
          always been filed under 'coincidence.' I just couldn't resist
          bringing it up -

          > jdloc4@... wrote:
          > I.e., The Ramones - this a tough one, at least for me,
          because I didn't listen to The Ramones until they were
          considered "cool" in the US - I guess when Mtv started showing their
          video I Wanna Be Sedated...so I'm not one to comment on the early
          part of their career, except to pass along any info that I've read
          about them (and retained in my memory!)...

          > It's funny you mention The Ramones, because I had that similar
          question about The Clash - and how they were received when they were
          1st starting out - and if they were legends in the making all along,
          or a bit ragged and dodgy at 1st...(and also how the US and UK
          perceived them differently over time).

          > For many years now The Ramones have been revered in the US, but
          I'm not sure what the consensus was in the 70's and very early 80s.
          From what I've read in music mags, it seems that The Ramones were
          looked down upon during their inception and early years - because of
          the simplistic and repetitive chords and lyrics - and that's it's
          only over time, and their influence on so many bands, that they have
          become such a musical inspiration.

          > Just my take on the band from what I've read. :)
          >
          > You could post your message to The Big Takeover Group, but they
          go through messages so fast, that many posts get lost in the mix...

          > I, for one, can believe that there exists a small village in
          Scotland called Ramoan. After all, there's a town called Disco in
          Tennessee (LOL)...

          > Le tigre

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for
          just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2006
            Now that is worth a look. Interested to see the Go-Betweens in this months top 10, Tallulah is a favourite record of mine. Less interested to see Editors displayed so prominently, I saw them in Glasgow last year and they were bloody awful, the actual sound of Ian Curtis turning in his grave. I reviewed the show for (one of my last pieces for) Is This Music? and said as much in print.

            About the Ramones, I appreciate they're somewhat on the declasse side but the t-shirts are everywhere and the second album (Leave Home) has a textured guitar sound that Kevin Shields must've heard, and the original blueprint for the JAMC was Ramones + Beach Boys = 10 years of top 40 in the UK.
            I should also mention that I saw them play live and they weren't that great onstage although this was almost certainly the fault of poor acoustics/ropey soundboard in the venue.

            I wonder if the Ramones music has quite the staying power their image does.

            <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:

            > Actually you are right. The Ramones, like a lot of similar US
            bands, probably enjoyed more of a reputation here in the UK than in
            their homeland - and the 'sedated' video is a good one but unless
            you really get the cartoonery, and some of it does inevitably look a
            bit dated nowadays, then predictably another more artful and less
            obviously 'dumb' band will find their work has lasted more
            effectively. They (the Ramones)do retain an amount of popularity
            though.
            >   As far as it goes about the village called Ramoan, this has
            always been filed under 'coincidence.' I just couldn't resist
            bringing it up -

            > jdloc4@... wrote:
            >       I.e., The Ramones - this a tough one, at least for me,
            because I didn't listen to The Ramones until they were
            considered "cool" in the US - I guess when Mtv started showing their
            video I Wanna Be Sedated...so I'm not one to comment on the early
            part of their career, except to pass along any info that I've read
            about them (and retained in my memory!)...

            >   It's funny you mention The Ramones, because I had that similar
            question about The Clash - and how they were received when they were
            1st starting out - and if they were legends in the making all along,
            or a bit ragged and dodgy at 1st...(and also how the US and UK
            perceived them differently over time).

            >   For many years now The Ramones have been revered in the US, but
            I'm not sure what the consensus was in the 70's and very early 80s.
            From what I've read in music mags, it seems that The Ramones were
            looked down upon during their inception and early years - because of
            the simplistic and repetitive chords and lyrics - and that's it's
            only over time, and their influence on so many bands, that they have
            become such a musical inspiration.

            >   Just my take on the band from what I've read.  :)
            >
            >   You could post your message to The Big Takeover Group, but they
            go through messages so fast, that many posts get lost in the mix...

            >   I, for one, can believe that there exists a small village in
            Scotland called Ramoan.  After all, there's a town called Disco in
            Tennessee (LOL)...

            >   Jen

            >         Le tigre

            Service.