Re: [PLAYLIST] Shimmer / 19 Feb 06 / Chicago / DJ SLS

  • Ahmad Shah Etemadi
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hey there,

      I wish there were similar events here in DC. Anyhow, if you like the
      Cocteau Twins...I'm sure you'll absolutely love Isobella and Violet
      Indiana. The latter is actually Robin Guthrie (from CTs) and Siobhan
      (from Mono). Great stuff! Alcian Blue are quite good as well...seen
      them many times live as they are local to DC.

      Take care,
      Ahmad

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi Ahmad - Thanks for letting me know about Violet Indiana, Alcian
        Blue, and Isobella. I almost picked up a Violet Indiana CD for $3
        used - but I was buying so much other stuff that I put it back. :(
        I knew that Robin Guthrie was somehow involved, but I didn't know it
        was Siobhan of Mono. I'll definitely have to look into
        that 'band'. :)

        Jen

        --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Ahmad Shah Etemadi"
        <madafghan@...> wrote:

> [...]
        slower
        > > one!)
        > > > [S] Cocteau Twins- Amelia
        > > > [S] Ride- Sennen
        > > > [A] Curve- Frozen
        > > > Catherine Wheel- I Want to Touch You
        > > > [A] My Bloody Valentine- Soon
        > > > The Charlatans- The Only One I Know
        > > > [S] Lush- Nothing Natural
        > > > [L] Airiel- Cinnamon
        > > > [S] Interpol- Length of Love (Frog vs. Mould remix)
        > > > [L] Arch Visceral Parlor- Tear My Eys
        > > > [L] Walking Bicycles- Lost Coast
        > > > Mellonta Tauta- Over the Ocean
        > > > Chapterhouse- Love Forever
        > > > Au4- One Thousand Rivers
        > > > The Stone Roses- I Want To Be Adored
        > > > [S] Slowdive- Brighter
        > > > Curve- Horrorhead
        > > > [S] Claire Voyant- Fear
        > > > Isobella- World's Greatest Spinner
        > > > Fuel- Butterfly Knife (feat. Elizabeth Fraser)

      • Rick Taylor
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hey Ahmad---

          Just wanted you to know there *is* in fact a place where indie djs spin shoegaze in DC. It's called "We Fought the Big One" and I'm one of the djs for that event. It's a monthly night and it's free. You should check it out when you can. The members of Alcian Blue actually hang out at the Big One nearly every month as they are pretty much one of the musical staples of the evening. We also get a lot of other very cool bands in DC that stop by often.

          I should say that it's not entirely dreampop & shoegaze though---we also throw in a lot of older post-punk---stuff that's more underground and generally moodier and a bit more off-kilter than your typcial indie night. So basically it's an evening of weird and wonderful music. :)

          The next "We Fought the Big One" is this Friday, March 3rd. Here's more info below and feel free to e-mail me with any questions or if you want to be on our e-mail list (we send out setlists and liner notes for our events!)...

          Also, I've attached a flyer...

          Cheers!
          Rick

          "We Fought the Big One"
          at Marx Cafe
          3203 Mt. Pleasant St. N.W.
          Washington DC
          10pm - 3am
          NO COVER  21+

          <madafghan@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > [A] My Bloody Valentine- Soon
          > > > The Charlatans- The Only One I Know
          > > > [S] Lush- Nothing Natural
          > > > [L] Airiel- Cinnamon
          > > > [S] Interpol- Length of Love (Frog vs. Mould remix)
          > > > [L] Arch Visceral Parlor- Tear My Eys
          > > > [L] Walking Bicycles- Lost Coast
          > > > Mellonta Tauta- Over the Ocean
          > > > Chapterhouse- Love Forever
          > > > Au4- One Thousand Rivers
          > > > The Stone Roses- I Want To Be Adored
          > > > [S] Slowdive- Brighter
          > > > Curve- Horrorhead
          > > > [S] Claire Voyant- Fear
          > > > Isobella- World's Greatest Spinner
          > > > Fuel- Butterfly Knife (feat. Elizabeth Fraser)
          > > > Lycia- Pray
          > > > - - - - - - - -
          > > >
          > > > Yours Truly,
          > > > ~SLS~
          > > > http://www.AmericanGothicProd.com

          > > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms

        • pateticorecordings
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
            popnoise festival 2006 seeks sponsors & bands

            Popnoise Festival 2006 seeks sponsors for its third
            annual arts & music festival held in the City of
            Brotherly Love- Philadelphia. It will be held Sat.
            Sept 16th, 2006 at the Rotunda 4014 Walnut St
            Philadelphia, PA 19104 in the heart of University City

            (Philadelphia).
            The past two festivals have been great and we want to
            make it bigger and better. We also accept donations
            via our web-site.

            We are also looking for talented bands to play this
            year’s festival (please note that the music featured
            at this festival is along the lines of psychedelic,
            shoegaze, slo-core, dreampop, post-rock, brit-pop,
            left of dial indie music… so please no metal, rap,
            hardcore, etc.) as well as 4 others that are being
            organized in several cities of the Eastern US
            including the Wall of Soundfest.

            please send your promo/press kit
            packages to:

            Tommy Lugo
            Patetico Productions
            536 N Sycamore Ave
            Clifton Heights, PA 19018

            Also looking to set up a street team of people who
            love this music to hit the pavement.

            For information and/or inquires please email me at
            popnoisefestival@...
            And visit http://www.popnoisefest.com
            http://www.myspace.com/popnoisefestival

            Thank you,

            Tommy Lugo

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • pateticorecordings
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
              SXSW 2006!! CLAIRECORDS and TONEVENDOR present:

              1) Tonevendor Daytime PARTY!! Bands! Beer! Food! All
              for FREE!
              2) Clairecords / Tonevendor SHOWCASE!
              3) Clairecords at the INDIE VILLAGE! Come meet with
              us!

              Info below for all these!! You can also view all this,
              with links to
              many of the venues, bands, labels, etc., at
              http://www.tonevendor.com/sxsw

              THIRTY GHOSTS
              RECORDS, & ACE FU! *

              Venue info:

              Wednesday, March 15, 3:00 PM @ End Of An Ear Records
              (2209 South First
              Street) -- http://www.endofanear.com

              Lineup:

              * TUNNG (Static Caravan / Ace Fu)
              * MY EDUCATION (Thirty Ghosts)
              * RACHEL GOLDSTAR (of EAU CLAIRE {Clairecords})

              Info:

              TUNNG made waves throughout the UK and across the
              Atlantic with their
              excellent debut album "Mother's Daughter and Other
              Songs", released on
              Static Caravan to heaps of critical acclaim. The album
              has been
              licensed stateside by Ace Fu and is scheduled for
              release on February
              22. On the forefront of the "folktronic" movement,
              they all but
              necessitated the coining of the term, and we're proud
              to have them as
              our guests for this party.

              Austin's MY EDUCATION have long been favorites of the
              Tonevendor /
              Clairecords staff, not to mention countless fans and
              critics
              worldwide. Their debut self-released CD sold out
              quickly, and was
              thusly re-issued by Thirty Ghosts Records, along with
              their follow-up
              album "Italian". Their performance at SXSW 2005 caught
              the attention
              of Rolling Stone's David Fricke, who praised them up
              and down, calling
              their performance his surprise find of the year.
              They'll be bringing
              their awesome instrumental grandeur to the party, as
              well as our
              nighttime showcase - believe me, you'll want to catch
              both sets!

              RACHEL GOLDSTAR is the solo project of Rachel Staggs,
              precisely
              one-half of Clairecords' duo EAU CLAIRE. She and her
              band will be
              performing a set of her solo material, combined with
              select tunes from
              MONSTER MOVIE and EAU CLAIRE as well. Her live band
              features
              ex-members of POLYPHONIC SPREE and THE SWELLS.

              We should also be having free food & drinks at this
              event - we know
              you love free stuff, especially beer and snacks!!

              * SXSW 2006 CLAIRECORDS / TONEVENDOR SHOWCASE *

              Venue info:

              Wednesday, March 15, 8PM-2AM @ Habana Calle 6 (709 E.
              6th St) --
              http://www.habana.com

              Note: This venue provides two stages -
              Clairecords/Tonevendor showcase
              will be inside, and Absolutely Kosher will be outside
              - we have been
              told that it is most likely that one admission grants
              access to both
              shows!

              Lineup:

              * MY EDUCATION (Thirty Ghosts)
              * SCIFLYER (Clairecords)
              * THE BROTHER KITE (Clairecords)
              * BELONG (Carpark)
              * RACHEL GOLDSTAR (of EAU CLAIRE {Clairecords})
              * LUMINOUS ORANGE (from Yokohama, Japan)

              Info:

              MY EDUCATION (see above)

              SCIFLYER will be performing material from their deep
              catalog,
              including tracks from their latest release "The Age of
              Lovely,
              Intimate Things" and some new material as well. They
              are on tour
              across the western half of the US to and from Austin,
              where they will
              make their SXSW debut.

              THE BROTHER KITE have been making waves everywhere
              since the release
              of their debut album "thebrotherkite" on Clairecords.
              During that
              time, the band have changed their name (formerly also
              known as
              "thebrotherkite"), seen a 2nd pressing of their album,
              and built their
              own recording studio from the ground-up! They'll be
              performing
              material from their highly-anticipated 2nd album, due
              this fall on
              Clairecords, which should also see a Japanese issue as
              well.

              BELONG are the latest signings to Carpark Records, and
              their debut
              album "October Language" was just released February 8.
              Their sound
              follows in the tradition of fuzzed-out folks like My
              Bloody Valentine,
              Flying Saucer Attack, and Spacemen 3. Yet if you asked
              Belong about
              their sources of inspiration they would say
              contemporary composer
              William Basinski or Fennesz. We at Tonevendor and
              Clairecords are more
              than pleased to have them as our guests for this
              showcase.

              RACHEL GOLDSTAR (see above)

              LUMINOUS ORANGE came all the way from Japan just to
              make an incredible
              appearance at CMJ 2004 in NYC. Too bad almost nobody
              was there to see
              it. Ever the longtime fans of this band though, us
              Clairecords folks
              wouldn't have missed it for the world. When we found
              out they would be
              playing at SXSW 2006, we begged for them to appear
              along with our
              bands on our showcase. We'll be honored to have them
              launch the night
              off with a live set of their sonic assault that
              perfectly combines
              ear-bleeding shoegaze noisepop with sugarsweet
              indiepop melodies.

              * CLAIRECORDS At The Indie Village! *

              Venue info:

              Thursday, March 16 THRU Saturday March 18, 1PM-2PM @
              Austin Convention
              Center, Upper Level, Grand Ballroom, (Booth: F9, F10,
              G9, G10)

              Info:

              Clairecords will be participating in the SXSW Indie
              Village for 2006!
              We are honored to have been one of only 18
              participating labels that
              were selected to take part.

              The Indie Village is a large, multi-unit stand in the
              SXSW Music Trade
              Show that is shared with a few labels who have titled
              showcases at
              SXSW. It's essentially a place for labels to have
              meetings, so if you
              would like to meet with us, bring us a plate of your
              homemade
              cupcakes, or just want to say hi, please stop on by!
              We will be there
              from 1-2 pm each day.

              You can also leave messages for us in our designated
              mailbox at this
              location - please do! As you probably know, we love
              getting mail.

              --
              tonevendor
              14 e. university ave., #206

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • pateticorecordings
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
                Get ready to party like it’s 1991 to classic
                shoegazing sounds from the Velvets to the Valentines
                to Ulrich Schnauss as the SONIC CATHEDRAL opens its
                doors for worship on THURSDAY MARCH 2. After they
                stole the show last time, we’re pleased to welcome
                back our Australian friends THE MORNING AFTER GIRLS,
                who release their debut UK single this month. Joining
                them are dark and dirty Dublin drone rockers MAINLINE.
                On the decks we have none other than ALAN MCGEE – the
                man who originally signed many of the bands whose
                records we play to his legendary label, Creation
                Records.

                SONIC CATHEDRAL
                THE NIGHT THAT CELEBRATES ITSELF

                THURSDAY MARCH 2
                THE LEGION
                348 OLD STREET
                LONDON EC1V 9NQ

                020 7729 4441

                THE MORNING AFTER GIRLS (Live)
                MAINLINE (Live)
                ALAN MCGEE (DJ)

                7pm-2am
                £5

                http://www.soniccathedral.co.uk
                http://www.myspace.com/soniccathedral
                http://www.themorningaftergirls.com
                http://www.mainlinesounds.com/
                http://www.myspace.com/deathdiscolondon

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • pateticorecordings
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Hi Boys & Girls,

                  A new year is upon us and we have to bring the noise
                  and represent so...

                  the 1st Flow of the Underground show of the season
                  will take place

                  Saturday March 25, 2006
                  at
                  The Manhattan Room
                  15 West Girard Ave
                  (Between Front & Frankford)
                  Philly, PA

                  featuring the talents of

                  Bebek -trip hop meets dreampop
                  Stellarscope- psychedelic post rockers
                  Dreamend- fabulous shoegaze band from Chicago who did
                  the split EP with Monster Movie (Ex-Slowdive)
                  The Clamor - mod meets brit-pop

                  Come on out for a night full of beautiful visuals and
                  chaotic walls of sound.

                  For fans of dreamy electronica, shoegaze, brit-pop,
                  post-rock, experimental rock music.

                  http://www.myspace.com/bebekmusic
                  http://www.myspace.com/stellarscope
                  http://www.myspace.com/dreamend
                  http://www.myspace.com/theclamor

                  pateticorecordings
                  http://www.pateticorecordings.com
                  http://www.popnoisefest.com
                  http://www.stellarscope.net
                  http://mp3.com.au/stellarscope
                  http://mp3.com.au/panophonic

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • pateticorecordings
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2006
                    Shop Specials

                    My Latest Novel
                    Wolves - NEW!
                    >>Buy Now £9.99

                    Dirty Three / Josh Pearson
                    Doris / I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry- NEW!
                    >> Buy Now

                    Various Artists
                    NEW! - Bella Union Sampler
                    >> FREE when you order..

                    Live listings

                    06 Mar: Howling Bells @ Barfly, London

                    07 Mar: My Latest Novel @ The Venue, Edinburgh

                    09 Mar: Howling Bells @ Music Box, Manchester

                    09 Mar: My Latest Novel @ Moshulu, Aberdeen

                    10 Mar: My Latest Novel @ Blowout, Manchester

                    12 Mar: My Latest Novel @ Barfly, Liverpool

                    >> Full Live Listings

                    Competition
                    My Latest Novel are giving away just one exclusive
                    book of hand-written lyrics to promote their
                    forthcoming album, Wolves. To find out more click
                    here.

                    The Wolves are amongst us..

                    About a year ago I heard a whisper about a young
                    Scottish band called My Latest Novel. I wasn't really
                    sure what to expect but got myself along to one of
                    their early London shows at the less than salubrious
                    Dublin Castle. I immediately thought they were
                    fantastic; really exciting and fresh. They didn't
                    really remind me of anything I had seen before other
                    than perhaps the attitude and look of the Postcard-era
                    bands like Orange Juice and Josef K. A month later I
                    went to see them again at the ICA and the room was
                    jam-packed with A&R men from every label. I knew I
                    desperately wanted to sign them but honestly didn't
                    think I would stand a chance with the buzz around the
                    band. But when I got back from the gig I wrote them an
                    email straight away telling them how much I loved it
                    and that was that really. I guess the band had as good
                    taste in labels as I do in bands as they chose to work
                    with us.

                    Wolves, the debut album out today, is one of the most
                    arresting debuts by a young band in years. Overflowing
                    with invention and ideas, its like the aural
                    equivalent of the film ' Mirror' by Andrei Tarkovsky.
                    Unafraid to be different, My Latest Novel illustrate
                    exactly why the UK is such a rich oasis for great and
                    original music.
                    BUY WOLVES

                    Simon

                    A Beautiful Union....

                    Mar 6th - Dirty Three and Josh Pearson (Lift to
                    Experience) - Doris / I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.
                    This is a very special, very limited double A-side
                    Vinyl single featuring two very fine and respected
                    artists indeed. This is a complete bellaunion.com
                    exclusive - you won't see this in any shops. Only
                    1,000 in existence
                    AVAILABLE NOW!!

                    Podcasts, Downloads and Forums
                    Also for the entire month of March we are giving away
                    some exclusive new tracks from The Dears, My Latest
                    Novel, Howling Bells and Dirty Three as well as a very
                    special secret track at the end of the month. Please
                    feel free to tell all your friends about it. After all
                    who doesn't love a bit of free music? Get your
                    downloads here
                    http://www.bellaunion.com/page.php?id=media

                    In other news this month, Bella Union had it's first
                    podcast. Simon R and the rather lovely Gill Mills
                    played new tracks from The Dears, My Latest Novel,
                    Howling Bells, Fionn Regan and many more - listen here

                    Also the all new bella union forum is up and running
                    so please feel free to come and discuss the hot issues
                    of the day here

                    http://mail.yahoo.com