Re: More Music News - Guns 'n' Roses.

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
      I just want to say thanks, Callihan, for backing me up here about
      Guns 'n' Roses. They really did throw me for a loop when I 1st
      heard them, but I have to say that, in my eyes, Axl's street cred
      diminished substantially when he professed his great admiration for
      Elton John's song-writing abilities in an interview (Use Your
      Illusion-era, I think). LOL

      I'm in no way disparaging Elton John; it's just not something I
      thought I'd hear coming from Axl's corrosive lips... ;)

      Jen

      --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Callihan"
      <scallih3@...> wrote:

      > Right there with you, Jen. Appetite as well as Lies
      undoubtedly have there places in the 80's milieu, especially if one
      (like me) spent the last four years of the 80's in high school! I
      remember Appetite was so raw that even grizzled old veterans like
      Keith Richards voiced their surprise at its ferocity. And I agree
      the Use Your Illusions, though well received at the time, are now
      rather unbearable. Poor Axl, right off the deep end he went. Kind
      of Phil Spector-esque, don't you think?

      > Callihan
      >

      > > Just remember that I grew up in the 80s, and my tender,
      developing
      > > mind was immersed in Top 40, New Wave, and Hair Metal songs - so
      when
      > > Guns 'n Roses exploded onto the scene and bombarded me with
      their raw
      > > riffs and acidic screeches - I was stunned - and promptly went
      out
      > > and bought their album Appetite for Destruction - - and I like
      it -
      > > and still do (before they got all pompous and bloated with Use
      Your
      > > Illusion I and II albums).
      > >
      > > Granted, I could do without the misogynistic lyrics that are
      briefly
      > > scattered through Appetite for Destruction, but otherwise I love
      the
      > > lean, mean sound of Slash's serrated, but precise guitar jags
      and
      > > Axl's hopped-up yowls. The album follows the 'sex, drugs, and
      > > rock 'n' roll' coda with songs that move at speeding-train
      velocity,
      > > with enough grit and ferocity to almost jump the tracks;
      mercurial
      > > tempo changes, Slash's fuzzed-out, squalling guitar, Axl's ear-
      > > piercing vocal acrobats (just listen to him modulate at the end
      of
      > > Rocket Queen, where he stretches the word "care" out (by tonal
      > > inflection) at least 10 different ways), railing
      against 'authority',
      > > and also mixing in some surprisingly romantic sentiments and
      dreamy
      > > passages (like the whole song Think About You, end of Rocket
      Queen,