Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] Re: Does Anyone Know This Song?

  • Arturo Chavero
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
      --- jdloc4@... wrote:

      > Ooh Ooh - Is it Mexican Radio??! "I'm on a mexican
      > rad-i-o, oh, oh..."? If it is, who sings it? I
      > don't recall...

      I think it's Wall of Voodoo :)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
        Heya - How did you find this Group? Through Hydroplane you say? How
        did that happen? I mean, I *love* them and had some email contact
        with Andrew, and did an Interview with them...

        They are one of those under-appreciated and under the radar bands,
        and I'm just curious as to how/when you heard about them in the 1st
        place.

        Now that I think of it, I'm not sure how I found out about them! LOL

        Jen

        --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
        <chateau_distorted@y...> wrote:

        > Possibly it's one of the 68 other songs on the ' 69' album. I
        should stress that I don't actually recognise the lyric and am in
        fact recalling a similarly irritating (irritating since I don't
        actually know who the artist was) number which I heard on Pete
        Easton's Radio Scotland show around 7 years ago - and which wasn't
        announced onair although I do recall that a) the band were American
        and b) the Magnetic Fields were featured somewhere in the show. 2 + 2
        = .........
        > And if the tune has a male vocalist then it certainly wasn't
        Hydroplane, the band through whom I found this site in the first
        place - leading me onto a discussion about gender-dysfunctional
        vocalising - eg: The Delays ' Long Time Coming ' ... written for
        Belinda Carlisle or WHAT!

        > Jen <jdloc4@a...> wrote:
        > Yet oddly enough, I've only heard one Magnetic Fields song (that
        > know of, at least) called A Chicken with Its Head Cut Off from the
        69
        > Love Songs opus! Is that Stephan Merritt singing or someone else?
        > If it's him on vocals, then he's not singing on my 'unknown' song.
        >
        > Thanks for trying to help me out. :)
        >
        > Jen
        >
        > --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
        > <chateau_distorted@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > If it's an unknown song you heard years ago on college radio it
        is
        > almost certainly a Magnetic Fields number
        > >
        > > Jen <jdloc4@a...> wrote: This is probably going to be a lost
        > cause, but I'm trying to find
        > > out the song title and band for an 'unknown' song that I heard
        > years
        > > ago on college radio.
        > >
        > > I had posted the song file to the 2nd Stratosphere Fanzine Group
        > > while back, when I could still do cool stuff like that (Yahoo
        won't
        > > let me upload audio files anymore!).
        > >
        > > All I have for you are the lyrics, based on what I can discern
        from
        > > listening to the song (I'm uncertain of words in a few places).
        > > Please let me know if you have any info about this song! Thanks
        > > bunch,
        > >
        > > Jen
        > >
        > > The vibe of the song is kinda graceful but downbeat, with
        wistful,
        > > airy (young) male vocals, and lilting, mournful guitar lines
        > between
        > > vocal parts...
        > >
        > > Lyrics:
        > >
        > > When Mars was a lad
        > > he met his best man
        > > and long into the night
        > > they painted the desert skies.
        > >
        > > He should understand
        > > the world in the palm of his hands.
        > >
        > > Wish you were here - oh yeah.
        > >
        > > When Mars was a lad
        > > he gave the best that he had.
        > > He soared into the sky,
        > > a restless feeling in his eye.
        > >
        > > The story left in the sand;
        > > he left for his best man.
        > >
        > > Wish you were here - oh yeah.

        > Service.
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------
        > > Yahoo! Photos
        > > Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in
        your
        > hands ASAP.

        Service.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
          That was how - I did a search on Hydroplane as I couldn't find much info on the group and found Blisscent instead - what an excellent album they made

          <chateau_distorted@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > vocal parts...
          > >
          > > Lyrics:
          > >
          > > When Mars was a lad
          > > he met his best man
          > > and long into the night
          > > they painted the desert skies.
          > >
          > > He should understand
          > > the world in the palm of his hands.
          > >
          > > Wish you were here - oh yeah.
          > >
          > > When Mars was a lad
          > > he gave the best that he had.
          > > He soared into the sky,
          > > a restless feeling in his eye.
          > >
          > > The story left in the sand;
          > > he left for his best man.
          > >
          > > Wish you were here - oh yeah.

          > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          > Service.

          > > Yahoo! Photos
          > >  Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in

          Service.