Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] Re: Does Anyone Know This Song?

  • Callihan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
          "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo from the Call of the West LP.  One of the long line of brilliant bands that got eclipsed by Madonna, Michael Jackson, and other ersatz artists big in the 80's.

      Callihan

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
        --- jdloc4@... wrote:

        > Ooh Ooh - Is it Mexican Radio??! "I'm on a mexican
        > rad-i-o, oh, oh..."? If it is, who sings it? I
        > don't recall...

        I think it's Wall of Voodoo :)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
          Heya - How did you find this Group? Through Hydroplane you say? How
          did that happen? I mean, I *love* them and had some email contact
          with Andrew, and did an Interview with them...

          They are one of those under-appreciated and under the radar bands,
          and I'm just curious as to how/when you heard about them in the 1st
          place.

          Now that I think of it, I'm not sure how I found out about them! LOL

          <chateau_distorted@y...> wrote:

          > Possibly it's one of the 68 other songs on the ' 69' album. I
          should stress that I don't actually recognise the lyric and am in
          fact recalling a similarly irritating (irritating since I don't
          actually know who the artist was) number which I heard on Pete
          Easton's Radio Scotland show around 7 years ago - and which wasn't
          announced onair although I do recall that a) the band were American
          and b) the Magnetic Fields were featured somewhere in the show. 2 + 2
          = .........
          > And if the tune has a male vocalist then it certainly wasn't
          Hydroplane, the band through whom I found this site in the first
          place - leading me onto a discussion about gender-dysfunctional
          vocalising - eg: The Delays ' Long Time Coming ' ... written for
          Belinda Carlisle or WHAT!

          > Jen <jdloc4@a...> wrote:
          > Yet oddly enough, I've only heard one Magnetic Fields song (that
          > know of, at least) called A Chicken with Its Head Cut Off from the
          69
          > Love Songs opus! Is that Stephan Merritt singing or someone else?
          > If it's him on vocals, then he's not singing on my 'unknown' song.
          >
          > Thanks for trying to help me out. :)
          >
          > Jen
          >
          > --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
          > <chateau_distorted@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > If it's an unknown song you heard years ago on college radio it
          is
          > almost certainly a Magnetic Fields number
          > >
          > > Jen <jdloc4@a...> wrote: This is probably going to be a lost
          > cause, but I'm trying to find
          > > out the song title and band for an 'unknown' song that I heard
          > years
          > > ago on college radio.
          > >
          > > I had posted the song file to the 2nd Stratosphere Fanzine Group
          > > while back, when I could still do cool stuff like that (Yahoo
          won't
          > > let me upload audio files anymore!).
          > >
          > > All I have for you are the lyrics, based on what I can discern
          from
          > > listening to the song (I'm uncertain of words in a few places).
          > > Please let me know if you have any info about this song! Thanks
          > > bunch,
          > >
          > > Jen
          > >
          > > The vibe of the song is kinda graceful but downbeat, with
          wistful,
          > > airy (young) male vocals, and lilting, mournful guitar lines
          > between
          > > vocal parts...
          > >
          > > Lyrics:
          > >
          > > When Mars was a lad
          > > he met his best man
          > > and long into the night
          > > they painted the desert skies.
          > >
          > > He should understand
          > > the world in the palm of his hands.
          > >
          > > Wish you were here - oh yeah.
          > >
          > > When Mars was a lad
          > > he gave the best that he had.
          > > He soared into the sky,
          > > a restless feeling in his eye.
          > >
          > > The story left in the sand;
          > > he left for his best man.
          > >
          > > Wish you were here - oh yeah.

          > Service.
          > >

          > > ---------------------------------
          > >

          > > ---------------------------------
          > > Yahoo! Photos
          > > Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in
          your
          > hands ASAP.

          Service.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
            That was how - I did a search on Hydroplane as I couldn't find much info on the group and found Blisscent instead - what an excellent album they made

            <chateau_distorted@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > vocal parts...
            > >
            > > Lyrics:
            > >
            > > When Mars was a lad
            > > he met his best man
            > > and long into the night
            > > they painted the desert skies.
            > >
            > > He should understand
            > > the world in the palm of his hands.
            > >
            > > Wish you were here - oh yeah.
            > >
            > > When Mars was a lad
            > > he gave the best that he had.
            > > He soared into the sky,
            > > a restless feeling in his eye.
            > >
            > > The story left in the sand;
            > > he left for his best man.
            > >
            > > Wish you were here - oh yeah.

            > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service.

            > > Yahoo! Photos
            > >  Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in

            Service.