Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] Top 10 Music Lists - First of Many...

  • marty moose
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2005
      Cool thread, Jen.  I like this one.  Can tell you're definitely and "old school" Cranes fans ;)

      Here my top 10 fav Cranes songs, in order of release date and not personal preference:

      Thursday
      Adoration
      Everywhere
      Reverie
      Paris & Rome
      September
      To Be
      Here Comes The Day
      Avenue A
      Vanishing Point

      Oh, and about the new album Particles & Waves.  Ali sings on all but 2 of the songs.  The song 'Every Town' is sung by Jim, and 'Astronauts' is an instrumental (the one from the Kate Winslet AmEx commerical).

      In other Cranes related news.  Has anybody here heard of the band Carmen Rosa?  It's Ben and Jon's (from the Cranes live lineup) other band.  It doesnt sound like Cranes at all, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.  I guess they could fit in that "shoegazer" category. Some of it reminds me of old Verve Storm in Heaven days.  Check out some tunes on their myspace....

      Jen <jdloc4@...> wrote:
      Hey everyone - You are probably all well aware that I have a thing
      for Top 10 lists (or Top 6 or Top 20, etc...), which has nothing to
      do with David Letterman and everything to do with following the Top
      40 music charts in the 80's, so instead of doing that Weekly
      Soundtrack post (too time- and brain-intensive), I've decided to do
      weekly (at least) posts of My Top 10 lists about various music
      topics, with minimal details (unless I have time to kill and brain
      cells to burn) - and you can all post your own lists or comment on
      what I post, ok?

      My 1st list is my Top 10 Cranes songs; I know there are at least of
      few fans of Cranes here at the Group, so please post what your fave
      songs are too!  :)

      Also - I had a question for anyone who has heard their latest
      album 'Particles and Waves' - how many songs does Ali sing on and
      which ones are they?

      Ok, here we go -

      My Top 10 Cranes Songs:

      Adoration
      Tomorrow's Tears
      Starblood
      Leave Her to Heaven (I)
      Pale Blue Sky
      Shining Road
      Slide
      September
      Adrift
      Future Song

      This list was pretty difficult to narrow down, and there are other
      songs I could have added...and I wanted to add Inescapable, but I
      don't have the song here with me and I forget exactly what it sounds
      like...; the list is also kinda in order (depends on mood) of song
      preference.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2005
        Hi! Thanks for posting your Top 10 Cranes Songs list and letting me
        know the details about their latest album. I'm planning on getting
        Particles and Waves soon, hopefully by end of December.

        It's cool that you've kept up with the band; I've kept up with their
        musical output over the years, but have slacked off with their
        latest - mostly due to the fact that it was an import until recently.

        I did get a chance to listen to their song Inescapable this weekend -
        and I'm adding this 'oldie but goodie' to my Top 10 list and cutting
        Adrift loose (I mainly like Adrift for its uneasy feeling and choppy,
        stormy-sea guitars).

        I could easily do a Top 20 Cranes Songs list, but I don't want to go
        overboard. :)

        Take care,

        Jen

        -- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, marty moose
        <wingsofjoy_2000@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > which ones are they?
        >
        > Ok, here we go -
        >
        > My Top 10 Cranes Songs:
        >
        > Adoration
        > Tomorrow's Tears
        > Starblood
        > Leave Her to Heaven (I)
        > Pale Blue Sky
        > Shining Road
        > Slide
        > September
        > Adrift
        > Future Song
        >
        > This list was pretty difficult to narrow down, and there are other
        > songs I could have added...and I wanted to add Inescapable, but I
        > don't have the song here with me and I forget exactly what it
        sounds
        > like...; the list is also kinda in order (depends on mood) of song
        > preference.

        > Photo video Bel canto Saint etienne Cocteau twins
        Photo video dvd

        Service.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 2005
          Hi There
          Ali Crane sent me a t-shirt (like personally) after I reviewed the Particles And Waves album for both www.thisisnotv.co.uk and www.artrocker.com (if anyone can find copies of the Artrocker magazine).
          I wish to use this space to point out that I recommend Cranes highly to any afficianado of this webspace and also want to say that Particles And Waves is possibly my favourite album of 2005 (no backhanders, honest...)
          In deference I should add that The Dead 60's and Hard-Fi also made excellent
          albumz however this year however Cranes are in line for an award of some sort:

          Jon Gordon
           www.isthismusic.co  and one or two other review archives
           Merry er... XMAS (ETC)

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2005
            duuuh! Imagine using the word 'However' twice in anything ... more quality control required in the Gordon department I fear
            yrs awfully
            JG
            (Now relocated to Hove, E.Sussex - watch this space                     )

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 2005
              Hello you Stratospheric people
              Just thought I'd add that my most recent work is vieweable on www.isthismusic.com, under the Review heading, on the left hand side of your screen.
               Muchos,