New Music: Blur, Damon Albarn, The Killers, and Sloan (well, reissues for Sloan)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2005
      Blur album details date: 30/9/2005

      Blur are to record their "basic" new album as a three piece after
      Graham Coxon decided to continue as a solo artist.

      Singer Damon Albarn has revealed that with no sign of Coxon rejoining
      his old band, Blur will record the follow-up to 'Think Tank' without
      an additional guitarist. As a result, the sound will be completely
      different.

      "There is a Blur record at the moment but it's very basic," explained
      Albarn of the album, which could be out next year. "The reason why
      it's so basic is we decided that if we're going to make another
      record it's just got to be the three of us and I've got to play
      guitar. And because I'm such a rudimentary guitarist it has to be
      really stupid and basic punk rock."

      However Blur and Gorillaz are not Albarn's only projects as he
      confirmed he is currently working on his first solo album - and like
      his previous side project 'Mali Music' it will have a global element.

      "I'm halfway through a record that I started in Nigeria last year,"
      said the Blur frontman. "I suppose will end up being my first solo
      record, although I hate the term 'solo record'."

      Speaking to Hong Kong radio station RTHK3 shortly after Gorillaz
      completed their War Child track in the city, Albarn added that
      although Gorillaz are about to reveal their human forms with their
      five night November residency in Manchester, becoming an animation
      was been a good career move...

      http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=7865

      and

      The Killers new album to 'make you feel dirty'
      The band reveal all about their second record

      The band already have twelve songs to choose from for the follow-up
      to 2004's debut 'Hot Fuss'.

      Talking about the new tracks, singer Brandon Flowers said
      that 'Higher And Higher' is their follow-up to 'All These Things That
      I've Done'.

      Speaking to Rolling Stone, Flowers went on to describe a new
      song 'Where White Boys Dance', saying: "We're holding on to it. It's
      our ace in the hole. It's a pop song, but when you hear it, it makes
      you feel dirty. Everybody's going to love it."

      The Killers are planning to head into the studio in January, but
      before they do, the band have to narrow down their list of possible
      producers.

      Flowers explained: "We have too many. If we could make another record
      like the first one, then I think it would be successful. But I want
      to get a producer who will mess with the parts, somebody with
      different ideas on how to arrange it. We've already proven that we
      can write a perfect pop song, but I admire bands like the Talking
      Heads for having hits that are still pop and rock, but out of the
      norm."

      http://www.nme.com/news/the-killers/21127

      and

      Sloan Bolster Legacy with Reissues, Shows

      Timothy Najmolhoda reports:
      Sporadically switching labels throughout your career is one way to
      get wide distribution-- it's just that your records end up widely
      distributed into overstock bins, and thence to garage sales and
      half.com. Canadian power-pop band Sloan's current home, Koch Records,
      is in the middle of a reprinting campaign meant to make fans' record
      acquisition less of a matter of chance. Their first four albums
      (Smeared, Twice Removed, One Chord to Another, and Navy Blues) have
      already come back into print; the final pair, consisting of Betweeen
      the Bridges and Pretty Together, won't arrive until early 2006
      because, as the band puts it. "These records are newer and still
      floating around stock rooms."

      Sloan stresses that these are straight reissues, sans any of those
      hidden tracks or bonus discs that seem to be all the rage these days.
      So if you already own the originals, there isn't much of an incentive
      to pick the re-pressed versions up, though you could always buy them
      anyway to reward the band for not trying to screw you over.

      * Sloan: http://www.sloanmusic.com/
      * Koch Records: http:www.kochrecords.com/

      http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-09/20.shtml#sloan