My Blog: Aural Ephemera #27.

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2014

      Short one:

      1.  Kate Bush is returning to the stage!  Info here:

      2.  Louise Trehy, formerly of 4AD dream-pop, one-album-wonder duo Swallow, is back after 20 years with a new band and spectacular new album!  The band is named Strata Florida and the album is titled Made Of Stars.  If you're a fan of Liz Fraser/Cocteau Twins, B'linda Butcher/MBV, Miki and Emma of Lush, and Toni of Curve, you must get this album!!  Well, and of course, if you're a fan of Louise/Swallow.  More official info here: http://www.adequacy.net/2014/03/louise-trehy-of-4ad-duo-swallow-is-back-as-strata-florida/
      and Facebook site for Louise/Strata Florida: https://www.facebook.com/strataflorida?fref=ts

      3.  Madison (search for "noiseofmadison" to find her online), with release her next EP, The Bright Light on May 27th.  Listen to new song "Start A Fire" now: http://noiseofmadison.com/home/

      4.  Veil Veil Vanish is down to 2 members, but they will be releasing a new album soon under the name Vaniish.  The Facebook site seems to have disappeared, at least right at this moment... : https://www.facebook.com/veilveilvanish ...?

      5.  The Faint is back w/ new album, Doom Abuse, to be released April 8th:

      6.  Emma Ruth Rundle (Red Sparowes, The Nocturnes, Marriages, solo...) is back w/ a new album soon titled Some Heavy Ocean:

      7.  Girl Band, a Dublin-based band, is making itself noticed recently for its raw, ragged, but intense rock sound 'n' vocals.  Check out the "Lawman" single:

      8.  All India Radio has re-worked and re-released its swooning, down-tempo vocals and instrumentals album Fall as Fall Remixes; Martin Kennedy, as always, is at the helm and guides Leona Gray through some beautiful tunes:

      9.  Watoo Watoo has released its 4th album Une Si Longue Attente; yes, vocals are mainly sung in French; the music is pleasant; female vocals are sweet and sing-song rhythm; if you like early Saint Etienne and 60s French and other pop,  and lounge-pop, you'll find stuff to enjoy:

      10.  Morten Harket's new album, Brother, will be out mid-April.

      That's all I've got for now - Jen
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 26, 2014

        ...just to add that Blood Red Shoes is streaming its new self-titled album at Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/bloodredshoes/app_644107348984144

        And Morten Harket has a 'chilling' video out for his single "Brother" here:

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KXsPIQ3qiU

        And a new band I'm into is from Australia and named Glass Towers (as opposed to Glass Candy, Glass Wand,

        Philip Glass, Glasser, etc...).  I hear a bit of Gold Fields in them, among others...: https://soundcloud.com/#glass-towers

        Jen

      • thrillracer1
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2014
          What Moz said about A-ha in his book isn't necessarily applicable to Morten Harket. He said that because they so seemed so healthy & fit that he didn't think their need to make music came from pain. Well, Harket's "Brother" is sad/melancholy and the video creepy/scary. :)
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2014
            Just because you don't look pained on the outside, doesn't mean you're not pained on the inside... (Yes, that is my riff on Morrissey's "I wear black on the outside, because black is how I feel on the inside." - LOL).  I have a feeling like I just threw a whole lot of double negatives in there...

            Anyway, "Bruised internally, eternally..." as Mark Kozelek, during his Red House Painters days, says in one of his rambling, sporadically poignant songs...

            As for Morten Harket and that video... I would be OK with it, I think, if he just kept his eyes closed when his frozen face is protruding from the snow; but, no, he has to open his eyes!!  Yes, very creepy, and I'm not sure if the point of the video has something to do w/ his interest in saving the environment so we actually still have a habitable planet in the near, and hopefully later, and hopefully always, future, or if it has to do with the song lyrics, but I haven't had time to fully listen to the song.

            I think it has to do with acceptance of someone, a 'brother', whether figuratively or literally, no matter what, but I'm not sure...

            Jen

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2014
              My interpretation of Harket's "Brother" (the lyrics) is that he believes in kinfolk, but his brother got jealous of his success.
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2014
                Oh, brother... Yeah, I just read the lyrics here: http://mortenharket.com/brother-lyrics-cover-art/

                Hmmm, now I wonder if Morten does have a brother... Must - look - up - Yes!  Three brothers and one sister... Hmmm...

                Speaking of Morten Harket, I've been listening to his previous album, Out Of My Hands, and it's really grown on me.  There's a lot of depth to the lyrics; in their meaning; I think a lot of it is written by other artists though, and not Morten.  And I like his mix of pop songs, balladry, and one made-for-dancefloor song - and of course his soaring, longing vocals do the trick every time.

                "Quiet" and "Listening" are especially powerful lyrics-wise; understated songs, but full of thought and feeling.  I just found out: "Listening" was written by The Pet Shop Boys! Audio:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5dCl6WUHzA

                "Scared of Heights" has Morten's sweet wistful vocal sweeping uplift (with some melancholy thrown into the vocals, and the lyrics) on the choruses.  Official Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSssA1xkX1U

                "Keep the Sun Away", "Burn Money Burn", and "When I Reached the Moon" all move more in a pop-rock direction and again are graced with Morten's distinctive vocals.  "Keep the Sun Away" audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyXyIP30WM0
                and "When I Reached the Moon" audio starts w/ really high register singing by Morten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdzzAecDR6U

                Jen
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2014
                  This a-ha song is a real fave for me:

                  Just listened to all the Harket songs you linked to:

                  I agree, "Listening" is nice in an understated way. I didn't realize he didn't mostly write his own material.

                  Morten Harket - Scared Of Heights

                  Think the song was on a "higher" level than the video. LOL.

                  Morten Harket - Keep the Sun Away (Complete) Out of my Hands

                  Morten Harket - When I Reached The Moon ('Out Of My Hands' 201

                  Thought these 2 were mediocre.

                  Cheers. :)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 13, 2014

                    Thanks for your reply!

                    Here's something I just found online, but only from 1 site, so I don't know how legit it is, but it's saying that the lyrics/song "Brother" is inspired by the politician Maajid Nawaz  who went "...from Islamic extremist to co-founder of counter-extremism think tank, Quilliam." and his "...core message is ...about bringing people together around liberal humanism, and challenging extremists of all shades who would seek to divide us."

                    http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/new_song_by_a_ha_frontman_morten_harket_inspired_by_lib_dem_candidate_maajid_nawaz_1_3537658?usurv=skip