My Blog: Aural Ephemera #25...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2014

      ...a very brief one:

      1.  Stargazer Lilies - Undercover Steve, who is the drummer in a band, has shot some nice vid footage of band performances including the Stargazer Lilies.  You can check that one out here, playing MY SHOW. From UCST: "We did the best we could to capture what they are as a live musical force they really are."

      2.  Alcest - The post-black metal band has returned with a shoegazer-inspired and Sigur Ros-admired new album titled Shelter.  I'd rave about it, but I don't have time.  It's a really nice one to say the least and I'll be writing more about it at a later date.  The album is out since January and here is the link to audio for "Deliverance", the last song on the album.  It may not be like Alcest's past work, but it's beautiful and thoughtful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wxZ1DV9xO4

      3.  D E N A - Dena T. releases her much-anticipated debut album, FLASH, this year.  Link to audio for "Bad Timing", a song off the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siUBI6OYBNg

      4.  Babybird, AKA Stephen Jones, has a long and storied musical career, and is now known as Black Reindeer and he's been very prolific as such.  Check out these songs at YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwV3JkYtWI0 or venture to his Bandcamp site for tons more: http://thestephenjones.bandcamp.com/

      5.  Pete Fig (of Adorable) and Terry Bickers (of...jeez, I'm losing my memory...) are collaborating and here's the vid for "Downsizing": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSkDsRXUDY8  Their album is out now or soon...(again, I forget...).  More at their official site, which says Valentine's Day or later album release: http://www.petefijterrybickers.com/

      6.  Morrissey - New album and a new book in 2014!  More here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/morrissey-working-on-a-novel-and-new-album-20140103  Fittingly for today, here is the official vid for "Everyday (Every Day?!!) Is Like Sunday": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LeL9BUPtA

      7.  Snowbird - My pick for best new band is actually made up of known artists; Simon Raymonde (Cocteau Twins) and Stephanie Dosen.  Beautiful music that I hope to write about soon... The duo's album, Mom, will be released on February 4th.  Official video for "Porcelain": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4udA5C70c

      8.  Secret Shine - The band will be working on the new album in September in France.  By working on, I'm assuming the band members will be recording at that point... Here's audio of the classic "Ignite The Air": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP5QrwdRFJo

      9.  The Church - A new album from the band members, minus integral Marty Willson-Piper mid-year.  It will be interesting to hear...  The band says the album is like "...the dark side of Abbey Road..."  Here's audio for the classic "Reptile" (I can't believe the vid isn't up at YT!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCPC_5j1Few

      10.  Princess Chelsea - This is a little late, but check out her cover of "We're So Lost" from October.  Another delicate fairy tale ballad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrRi9urn4s