My Q&A with Tunabunny is up at Adequacy.net.
"The free, fierce, and fun Athens, Georgia-based band tell it like it is about the band’s MO, new album, and upcoming album (already!)."
- Here's the rundown of what I've seen online for new album releases and related info:Run Fast / The Julie Ruin (Kathleen Hanna's baaack!! You could watch the official video, but I prefer their "behind the scenes" one with their drummer Carmine Covelli: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1AxFI6GT-c )Bitter Rivals / Sleigh BellsDefend Yourself / SebadohPain Is Beauty / Chelsea WolfeImitations / Mark LaneganHawaiii / Said The Whale (There are 2 stupendously catchy power-pop songs on the album; "Mother" and "I Love You": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nIzMeDc9vk The band members also have a penchant for creating some funny parody to karaoke videos. Check out "The Whale" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdEahWESEqw , a take-off on the much-buzzed-about, ridiculous song "The Fox" by Ylvis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE .)Binghamton / William Gruff (Here's a live performance of "Calmly Sip Your Tea". This is how acoustic bedroom or livingroom sets should be done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUnwaGRemHc _We Are The Dreamers / The Stargazer Lilies (made up of members of Soundpool)Loud Like Love / PlaceboHerein Wild / Frankie RoseLike Rats / Mark Kozelek (13 covers)Sun Kil Moon album in January 2014Equals Zero / Zero Times Zero (actor Thomas Dekker's performance collective; here's the link to short trailer w/ Rooney Mara sandwiched between the strobe slices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvMVagL2MlU )two songs from Secret Shine ("Each Time" and another song coming out later this year)new album by Cranesnew album by Chatelaine (AKA Toni Halliday)Sirens and Satellites / SPC ECO (release imminent or now)new album by The Black Ryder"Fame Kills" video / Dangerous Muse (out soon; here's the audio link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaEnn_e05pEIce, Blood, & Treasure / King of Antarctica (This is a big guess, but I think Mat Devine of Kill Hannah is up to something on his Instagram: "It's a story. It's an Adventure." One hopes it's music-related!)Silence Yourself / SavagesHesitation Marks / NINRestless Idylls / Tropic of Cancer (out Sept 23; here's audio for "Court of Devotion": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4XHbyQby7U )Phantoms / The Fire Tapes (The band's epic is "Scarlet Cliffs": https://soundcloud.com/the-fire-tapes/01-scarlet-cliffs )Influenza / 1984 (out earlier this year, but I just found out Laura-Mary Carter does guest vocals on "Complain", which actually sounds like a Blood Red Shoes track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFXouNH0OVc )Red Panda / Colt Silvers (out in March of this year)s/t / Victoria and Jacob (on Fika Records; out for a few months now. Listen to "Theia Mania" with nice vocals opening up about halfway through tune: https://soundcloud.com/victoria-and-jacob/thea-mania01 )Abandoned Apartments / Jeremy Jay (out Nov 12th; single "Covered In Ivy" out now; another single, "Sentimental Expressway" on Oct 1)Cyndi Lauper to guest star on Bones episodeComing Apart / Body/Head (AKA Kim Gordon and a guy)Weird Sister / Joanna GruesomeThis Is What I Do / Boy George (due October 28; "King of Everything song/video out now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnDOLSZyYyg )Tales Of Us / GoldfrappThe Bones of What You Believe / CHVRCHES (out Sept 24)Calvin Johnson is in The Hive Dwellers (album released in 2012; old news, but new to me!)25 Live DVD / Morrissey (live concert video due on Oct 21; footage is from his show at Hollywood High School in LA on March 2, 2013)"Dirty Love" / Johnny Weir (out since 2012, but I diggg it!! Audio here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ASFU6magIs )And it looks like Yahoo! is still working out a ton of kinks by changing the format, etc... of Yahoo! Groups. Not only can I not change the main image, I (nor anyone else, I guess) can't post any messages or reply to any messages directly at the site... I hope they fix all this soon!Jen
- If you want to catch up on all the Album Reviews I've done, you can start to peruse my reviews at Yahoo! Voices. I posted my reviews of Born To Die by Lana Del Rey and Bloodsports by Suede, and I've now added One Cell in the Sea by A Fine Frenzy: http://voices.yahoo.com/album-review-one-cell-sea-fine-frenzy-12323847.htmlandParade by Afternoon Naps: http://voices.yahoo.com/album-review-parade-afternoon-naps-12323878.html?cat=33Thanks for reading!Jen.
- I used to read this music (paper) fanzine in my youth...: http://www.daggerzine.com/reviews_main.htmlJen
- "Indie duo Zola and Chloe dish the dirt about their new EP, distorted vocals, interesting lyrics, and connection to Calvin Johnson."On another note, with this Yahoo! Groups upgrade have come a number of glitches, one being the inability to post new Topics (messages) or reply to messages at the Board - at least for me.The only way I'm able to post messages is to find an old email from before the changes and do a reply to that email; nothing directly at the Group...So if anyone wants to post a message and the links at the Group are dead, that's the way to do it! Meaning, when you get this email in your Inbox, save it and use it to "reply" and send a message to the Group.Jen
- ...are up at Adequacy.net as a Short Takes feature:Jen
- "Co-founder of the Canadian pop-rock band, Tyler Bancroft, gets to the point about the new album and his musical roots."On another note, with this Yahoo! Groups upgrade have come a number of glitches, one being the inability to post new Topics (messages) or reply to messages at the Board - at least for me.The only way I'm able to post messages is to find an old email from before the changes and do a reply to that email; nothing directly at the Group...So if anyone wants to post a message and the links at the Group are dead, that's the way to do it! Meaning, when you get this email in your Inbox, save it and use it to "reply" and send a message to the Group.Jen
- 1. Steve Kilbey and Greg Dulli perform live w/ one song written together. A write-up at Rolling Stone: http://m.rollingstone.com/music/news/afghan-whigs-church-frontmen-debut-new-project-201310102. Thanks so Jen of PVSG Lush Yahoo Group who let me know that Helen Marnie of Ladytron has a solo project called Marnie and the debut album, Crystal World, is out since June.3. Fetch by Melt Banana is out now (or soon?); hyper-chirpy vocals and zigzag sonics to melt your brain abound.4. Miki (of Lush) sings on Hard Skin's "You Still Here?" song.5. The album Influenza by 1984 is AWESOME!! French rock never sounded so good! Check out "Maze": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FxGMru4Ou46. "At the Bottom of the Ocean" by William Gruff is also awesome, especially if you have a thing for David Bowie. Official Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfoncgIHBqk7. I just found out about the Central Jersey band New Politicians. Start w/ song "Day (1)" and dig that Interpol vibe: http://www.reverbnation.com/newpoliticiansmusic8. Didn't know this, but Bad Religion is still going strong w/ latest album True North.9. House Of Love (you know, with those bitter miserablists Guy Chadwick and Terry Bickers) also has new album out with a long title that I forget now...10. Mazzy Star is back too! An album called Seasons Of Your Day, I think...11. I might have said this already, but it bears repeating. Ryan Breegle of Loligags and Meringue & Malice fame is now frontman of Tipper Whore, and the band has a super-duper catchy single out called "Two Sticks"; Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kazVNCuTSSUAnd that's all she wrote -JenOn another note, with this Yahoo! Groups upgrade have come a number of glitches, one being the inability to post new Topics (messages) or reply to messages at the Board - at least for me.The only way I'm able to post messages is to find an old email from before the changes and do a reply to that email; nothing directly at the Group...So if anyone wants to post a message and the links at the Group are dead, that's the way to do it! Meaning, when you get this email in your Inbox, save it and use it to "reply" and send a message to the Group.Jen
- ...and, yeah, it's a band, not a person. LOL "Owen and Nicholls take time out from their busy schedules to chat about the band’s sound and all the extracurricular activities they’re juggling"Jen
- "Kim and John (of Soundpool) expand upon their new band’s expansive, ambient (with shoegazer touches - hold on to your shoes!) sound, musical influences, and live set-up."Jen
- "On its accomplished and enjoyable debut album, the Australian 5-piece combines kinetic rhythms with energetic choruses, infectious grooves, light synths, and dark guitars to winning effect."