My Blog: Aural Ephemera #17.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7 2:45 PM
      Despite my time-sucking daily work grind, I wanted to fill you in on some cool, compelling tunes that I've heard these past few weeks/months:

      1. The Stargazer Lilies (not to be confused w/ other bands w/ similar monikers) - It's the 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th coming of shoegaze and this band has some of the beauty of Lush, part of the woozy of MBV, etc... Formed from members of Soundpool. Check out new song and video "We Are the Dreamers", from upcoming album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqPrzKV2Cfc

      2. SPC ECO - Rose Berlin and Dean Garcia have done it again, crafting a soundscape swoon w/ trenchant lyrics and lovely Miki-inspired floating vocals from Rose on "Delusional Waste". Rose even looks a bit like Miki in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cv80PqI58Q

      3. Teen Daze - Jamison brings on the uplifting, yet reflective bliss yet again on the entrancing number " Light & Love". Lie back and enjoy:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NcvtsdpyxY

      4. Madison - The dance-pop non-diva turns the "Lights Low" on an older song of hers that should have gotten way more attention when it came out. Towards the middle of the song Madison hip-pop raps to cool effect. Audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a12YEkxjCk

      5. Steve Kilbey & Martin Kennedy - Get lost in the lovely, lush, plush atmosphere of "Lorelei": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySNYF-Vf59s

      6. Jeff Zenter w/ Rykarda Parasol - Check out the song and video "Fire in My Bones" - foreboding and dark and compelling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm3-i8i5FHI

      7. Cranes - In my random checking of Facebook, I saw an official post from Cranes. The band...duo...will have an album coming out in the future! In the meantime - holy heck! - I just checked YouTube and Cranes has a VEVO site?! Cool, but strange. Anyway, here's the link to the more pop side of Alison and Jim's sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AovFHWeVYzE

      8. The Cult - I didn't know this until recently, but Ian Astbury got married to Aimee Nash of The Black Ryder, one of my fave Aussie bands, last year! Plus The Cult put out a new album in 2012 too! Here's the link to "For the Animals" with Ian Astbury's unmistakable vocals intact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTKLJUZcUFw

      9. Joan Jett - She and band return w/ a new album, Unvarnished, in October: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/02/joan-jett-unvarnished-new-album_n_3694814.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment
      For a blast from the past, check out "I Love Rock N Roll" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3T_xeoGES8

      10. Queens Of The Stone Age - I was wobbling between not totally digging and liking QOTSA's new album, Like Clockwork... well enough, but I think I'm getting it now. It's a concept album, at least in sonics, it has a mellow vibe; you just have to submit and go w/ it and not compare it to other QOTSA albums. Right now, my fave cut is I Sat By the Ocean" because it's a bit trippy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOXaUjGk-yY

      11. Speaking of trippy and hypnotic and so on and so forth, I want to add that cover of "White Rabbit" by the unknown band that I need help with identifying. I've scoured YouTube (some 40-plus pages of decent to desperate covers) and can't find a match...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b4Kqw3as_A

      And, Just For A Laugh, go see The World's End on August 23rd and smirk yourself silly and the pop culture craziness in the 3rd of the film trilogy from director Edgar Wright and stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. And then get thee to a DVD player and watch episodes of their Spaced TV series (or get it on HULU):

      Teaser Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U-mUI

      International Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFo7eJR2cvc

      Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDu1oYi3AoA