Re: Help Identify U.S. 1990s indie college radio Song!

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
      Hi! Thanks for that suggestion. I'll look into it! :D

      Jen

      --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew MacCreary." <amaccreary@...> wrote:

      > Have you tried using Shazam app to figure it out?

    • thrillracer1
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
        This is a tough one! The guitar is haunting. I recognize it from a CD from Jen. But the band does seem familiar from 90s college rock. Hmmmm....

        Is it from the "slowcore" subgenre?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
          Heya!

          The song actually stood way out to me when I heard on college radio in the 1990s... It has that kinda softly laid-back, curling guitar line.  I keep thinking "island vibe" for some reason, even though that's not really the tone of the song.  Something about the guitar brings that imagery to mind...

          I wouldn't classify it in the slowcore subgenre, I guess, but what do I know.  When I think slowcore, I think Low, but that band had some more up, jingling songs too...

          Jen
          This is a tough one! The guitar is haunting. I recognize it from a CD from Jen. But the band does seem familiar from 90s college rock. Hmmmm....

          Is it from the "slowcore" subgenre?

          --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "sidewaysgaze" <jdloc4@...> wrote:

          > Yes, posted about this way back in 2007, maybe, but I've now uploaded the song at YouTube, so you can listen to it there. I'm not sure if the volume is high enough...but it's there!
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K88UoZhAvo&feature=youtu.be
          >
          > Jen
          >
          > Text from YouTube:
          >
          > I heard this song in the mid-90s on college radio in NJ, USA.
          >
          > Wistful, light, sweetly mournful, clear, young male vocals alternate with a poignant, lilting, gracefully expressive guitar line and shimmering beat. I need help with identifying this song and the artist/band! It's been on my mind since the 1990s... Thanks!
          >
          > Lyrics (based on what I can discern):
          >
          > "When Mars was a lad
          > he met his best man
          > and long into the night
          > they painted the desert skies.
          >
          > He should understand
          > the world in the palm of his hands.
          >
          > Wish you were here - oh yeah.
          >
          > When Mars was a lad
          > he gave the best that he had.
          > He soared into the sky,
          > a restless feeling in his eye.
          >
          > The story left in the sand;
          > he left for his best man.
          >
          > Wish you were here - oh yeah."

        • thrillracer1
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
            One band it is slightly reminiscent of is Moose (and one of their songs did have the island vibe), but I don't think it could be them because their songs were never that good. Yeah, it's not as slow as a slowcore song. I forgot how slow a song could get. HA!

            Well, this is starting to bug me now. There's no way a song like that can get that buried. I submitted the question to the "Other Music" forum on Morrissey-solo.com.

            Another person who might know is this guy:
            http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-ostermann/67/b7a/939
            (He used to send me mix cassettes of 90s college rock. I'll have to try to dig some up if I didn't tape over them. LOL.)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 2013
              Whoo hoo! So someone at YouTube posted that the song is "Mars" by the Wipers (i.e., Greg Sage), a band that was admired by the likes of Kurt Cobain. Thank you so much!! Plus, like you said to me elsewhere, someone at Morrissey-solo.com also posted that reply. What a relief to know who created the song.

              But supposedly the track (and maybe the whole album it's on, Silver Sail) is not typical of the rest of Greg Sage's work. I'll have to investigate...

              Oh, and last thing - "Over The Edge" is a Wipers song. I know that one! LOL

              Jen