Added New Interview with Amber of Jucifer to Files!

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2005
      I just added an awesome new interview with Amber of Jucifer, done in
      true indie style via snail mail and cut 'n' pasted together on my end
      with all diy abilities intact - crookedly formatted questions 'n'
      all!! :)
      Jen

      Seriously, if you haven't ever heard (of) Jucifer until now, check
      them out - they rock hard, are amazing live, and are an amalgam of
      all that is awesome in the music world - a magnificent
      singer/screamer/guitarist in Amber Valentine, and her partner in
      crime, Ed, a live-wire on drums, catchy, melodic songs (that
      encompass so many different genres - hard rock, shoegazer, dreampop,
      metal, and much more) - some of which mutate into drum-bashing,
      guitar-overdrive, bellowing-singer madness (in a good way!).

      Don't take my word for it; here are a couple other reviews for
      Jucifer's album I Name You Destroyer.

      From:
      http://www.ink19.com/issues/july2002/musicReviews/musicJ/jucifer.html

      Wow, this is turning out to be a great time for romantically-involved
      genre-bending duos! The White Stripes (okay, they might be related),
      San Francisco's Pepito, and now Jucifer, a coupla crazy kids from
      Athens, GA. I've never seen them live, but apparently they're just
      absolutely monster: Edgar Livengood ruining his drum kit, and Amber
      Valentine crooning and shrieking and beating the hell out of her
      guitar. Legendary, in the right circles.

      This album lets you know what they're all about: everything. A whole
      lot of kinds of music are represented here, from death metal pop to
      shoegazer funk, and it all sounds original and cool and soulful and
      bored and sexy. We get the second great song with the
      title "Amplifier" (the first was The dB's version), which turns a
      little ticky-tacky amp-envy vamp into a harrowing drug tale with no
      effort at all. We get the ace one-two punch of "Surface Tension," a
      cracked-folk number with a truly shitty violin hook and an obsession
      with the word "undertow," and its guitar-overdriven instrumental
      coda, called "Undertow," which does nothing but slam for six minutes.

      Oh, you want more, do you? How about "Queen B," which is how
      Motorhead and Slayer would sound if they were fronted by a petite
      bottle-blond? How about "Memphis," which is as minimal as the new
      incarnation of The Breeders and has a beat you can dance to? The hot
      techno-bongo madness of "Firefly" with its sex-driven
      lyrics: "There's no need to be confused / My heart's on fire for you
      tonight"? It just keeps on going.

      Okay, obviously I like this record; plus, it was recorded "without
      ProTools, loops, samples, studio musicians, big shots or lackeys." So
      I vote yes on Jucifer, and you will too.

      Jucifer: http://www.jucifer.com

      and

      from: http://launch.yahoo.com/read/review/14252574

      I Name You Destroyer Review
      02/17/2005 4:36 AM, AMG
      Once again Jucifer defies the odds as a duo by unleashing a mountain
      of passionate sound with strong punk references as well as several
      intriguing departures from the style. Snarling guitars dominate, but
      examples of inventive arrangement and delicate shading breathe space
      into the noise. Even without the luxury of overdubbing, Jucifer blows
      down the walls; tracks like "Fight Song" document something close to
      the energy of their live shows, with nothing up their sleeves but
      drums, strings, and Amber Valentine's larynx-ripping vocals. There's
      variety in these tracks too; "Dissolver" explodes after a furious
      sprint and as the sonic wreckage crumbles a dreamlike dirge emerges,
      in effect marking the triumph of hallucination over fury in this
      particularly psychotic lyric. Further contrast is provided
      by "Firefly," whose bongo-popping opener briefly casts a beatnik
      spell before morphing into a contemporary urban lust song, with
      Valentine's voice whispering like a flower in a desolate vacant lot.
      ~ Robert L. Doerschuk, All Music Guide
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2005
        The interview with Amber is in the New Band and Singer Interviews
        folder in the Files section - enjoy! :)
        Jen

        --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <jdloc4@a...>