The Story of Justin Bieber’s Mom

  • thrillracer1
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
      Music-Related Book Review

      _Nowhere But Up: The Story of Justin Bieber's Mom_ by Pattie Mallette:

      Since I won this book on the Anderson Live web page, I figured I should pay it forward and post a review. Pattie Mallette, the Mama of Justin Beiber, wrote a compelling autobiography. She got her juvenile son's career started by making and uploading YouTube videos of him singing, drumming, and goofing around. She managed his channel and facilitated his online popularity until a manger named Scooter Braun started calling relentlessly.

      But before her son became a celebrity, she lived through a traumatic childhood in Canada. Her parents never thought to warn or protect her from sex offending predators. Her father simply bailed out for convenience and later dropped dead (probably also convenient.) Her mother, also a victim of molesters, just didn't like to tell her anything. She didn't even bother to mention that Mallette had a sister who predeceased the mother, father, and brother before Mallette's birth. Not until Mallette got hit by a car did the mother think to say, watch out for traffic, your sister didn't. Later, when Mallette became suicidal, she threw herself in front of a moving vehicle, but the motorist managed to avoid hitting her.

      As a child, both females and males would molest her, both juvenile and adult. They targeted her because of her vulnerability. As a teen, she got date-raped. I think Mallette should have named these people, but she protects the guilty. She does, however, name Justin's father, Jeremy, a boyfriend who liked to spit on her. But because she had a religious experience and subsequently became very church-involved, she is very forgiving of everyone who abused, disrespected, degraded, and failed her. I guess that works for her.

      As a pregnant teen, she stayed at a home for pregnant girls, and as a single Mom, she was very poor. She got some work in computers, but she also had to rely on charity. Even so, she would always donate a percentage of her income to the church. Well, now that her son is a superstar thanks to her, I don't think that she has to ever worry about poverty again.
    • jdloc4@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
        Well, that's just horrible what Justin Bieber's mom had to suffer through in her life!  Nice, clear-eyed recounting from you of the events covered in the book.

        Moving on to happier, sillier thoughts, I was trying to think of teen idol singers through the decades (Well, you know, starting from the 70s) that I followed, and I can't think of that many.  Shaun Cassidy I've already mentioned in another post... and the only other singer that I totally adored for a time in an absurd way would have to be 'our' Morrissey when he was a solo artist, LOL - and he's not exactly "teen idol" material, at least not for the masses...

        I never got on the Rick Springfield, Scott Baio (Wait, did he sing?  I just saw him briefly on an old episode of Full House, strumming a guitar), or Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy bandwagon.  Or Donny Osmond.  And I didn't even know about Davy Jones until I saw a rerun of that Brady Bunch episode he guest starred in.

        Who am I missing from this illustrious list?

        Jen

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
          Mine was Morrissey too! Also, as a solo-artist (technically, just with a diffent musician line-up.) I'm still a Moz fan today, but I'm not gonna go all ga-ga at a concert. Moz himself was an Elvis fan.

          Not long ago on an oldies station I heard a lady call in saying how desperately she wanted to win Monkees tickets. So, I guess Davy Jones fans are still going strong. The Osmands were wildly popular on Dancing with the Stars, even though they were so cheesy, so I guess their long ago teen fans are still going strong too. I don't know if Scott Baio sang, but they all do, so he must have.

          Hmmmm, who else?

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
            Oh, yes, I forgot about Elvis! And just in time for Christmas, here's Elvis singing "Blue Christmas" in 1968, amid a gaggle of overzealous girls that detract from the performance:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPFZIYywABc

            Jen