My Blog: Aural Ephemera #14.

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2012
      Aural Ephemera #18

      I¡¦ve got a plethora of aural pleasures to enthusiastically effuse about this time around, but not much time to do so, so without further ado:

      1. Lana Del Rey releases Born To Die ¡V The Paradise Edition this Monday or Tuesday and in its simplest form it¡¦s a 2-CD set; one being the original Born To Die Album; the other titled Paradise and containing 8 new songs of the similar ilk (¡§Ride¡¨, ¡§American¡¨, ¡§Cola¡¨, ¡§Body Electric¡¨, an unnecessary cover of ¡§Blue Velvet¡¨ if you¡¦ve heard Bobby Vinton¡¦s take, Gods And Monsters¡¨, ¡§Yayo¡¨, and ¡§Bel Air¡¨). Check out audio for lead single ¡§Ride¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvb8wdBglpw and official video for ¡§Bel Air¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq3yT8CkPzY
      The extended video for ¡§Ride¡¨, audio of which is not on the album, is here:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_-3di1yx0

      2. If you peruse Adequacy.net you¡¦ll find it¡¦s no secret that I¡¦m bonkers for the recent self-titled album by duo TKTTSM. It¡¦s a romping psych-rock/candy pop thrill ride. You can hear the whole kit ¡¥n¡¦ caboodle at Johanna and Owen¡¦s BandCamp site: http://tkttsm.bandcamp.com/ If you¡¦re a fan of Scarling, Spinnerette, non-Ruby Throat KatieJane Garside, riot grrrl bands with innocent babydoll to shouty female vocals, and full, layered, but precise production, this is your pep pill.

      3. I¡¦m head over heels, and have been for several months now, over Mike Furey and his band/project Dangerous Muse. Catchy, sexy, dancefloor-ready synth-pop is Mike¡¦s calling card, and there are 4 songs you have to hear if you¡¦re into smoldering vocals and arch attitude coupled with rhythmically tight electro-beats. Actually, make that 5 songs ¡V and pump up the volume on ¡¥em:
      Official Video for sultry ¡§I Want It All¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN6sc-zpFL0
      The rockin¡¦ ¡§Take Control (Disco Pusher Mix)¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1THRyHxFTA
      The dreamy ¡§Fame Kills¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcjMDleAF1k
      Audio for cocky cover ¡§Girls Like You¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7wlFf8v3QY
      Video snip from film House Of Boys, which features cameo of Mike onstage strutting through some of ¡§Girls Like You¡¨ (starting at 1min 31sec): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNz3aEGs1tY
      Official Video for melancholically moody ¡§Mr. StrangeLove¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCp_94vbPEc

      4. I¡¦m really into Garbage¡¦s latest album, Not Your Kind of People, but there¡¦s one song that didn¡¦t make the cut on the original album, but is featured on the Deluxe Edition. That would be the tautly breakneck blaster ¡§The One¡¨, with its sly reference to Shirley Manson¡¦s gig as a Terminator in the unjustly terminated TV show Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
      Audio for ¡§The One¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VbGJwktMqw
      Plus some clips of Shirley from The Sarah Connor Chronicles:
      The moment viewers find out she¡¦s a Terminator of the liquid metal kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5bQg8GT_XA
      On a slash ¡¥n¡¦ stab spree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8K7va4AGYY
      The kiss of death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_oECpATybo
      Showing her, uh, more human side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYzbj0pkEJ0

      5. Mesmerizingly moody song and video of ¡§I Know Where My Journey Will End¡¨ from noir darling Rykarda Parasol: http://vimeo.com/40046558

      6. I haven¡¦t totally stuck my hand into the bucket of Slug Guts, but I¡¦ve heard a couple of numbers from this Australian band and I¡¦m enjoying the Nick Cave-like howlin¡¦ vocals, hard guitar charge, and pressing drum rumble. Too bad they don¡¦t want to do an interview with me¡K ƒ¼ The band¡¦s 3rd or 4th album, Playin¡¦ in Time with the Deadbeat is out now on Sacred Bones Records. Here¡¦s the Official Video for ¡§Scum¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZqL67UGYR8
      Audio for ¡§Hangin¡¦ in the Pisser¡¨, the 1st song that caught my attention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RCawS6jD18

      7. I¡¦m so totally getting into The Faint right now, even though the eletro-dance-rock band¡¦s albums have been out for years! I¡¦ve been listening to Danse Macabre and the Remixes album and my fave track is, and has always been, ¡§Your Retro Career Melted¡¨; fan video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f16CC883T4
      The Deluxe Edition of Danse Macabre was released at the end of October (remastered album with bonus and unreleased material, etc¡K) and the band is current on tour and playing the whole album at each show. Official site: http://www.thefaint.com/

      8. Martin Kennedy is back with a new All India Radio album, Red Shadow Landing, and it¡¦s a beauty. You¡¦ll be able to read about my thoughts on it soon at Adequacy.net. In the meantime, check out these official vids/songs:
      ¡§The Original¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usRTCTFz8Sk&feature=plcp
      ¡§Tomorrowland¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ8AFOMoQUM&feature=plcp
      ¡§The North Sky¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAMiZ6alr8&feature=plcp

      9. Axl Rose came out of seclusion to do an interview with Jimmy Kimmel a couple weeks back and dispels rumors that he¡¦s a curmudgeon. Here are the official links to Parts 1 and 2 of the interview on YouTube:
      Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7gjUa1y99g
      Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP8qeBmFcKg

      10. As of a couple of weeks ago, Morrissey postponed the rest of his U.S. to be with his mom who is sick. Of course there¡¦s no update¡K News outlets tend to post breaking, sensational or, well, hopefully informative news and then never follow up on it¡K
      http://www.spinner.com/2012/10/27/morrissey-postpones-tour/

      Just For A Laugh, because I¡¦m feeling warm and fuzzy on a Saturday (TGIWeekend!):
      Vid clips from the irreverent Brit flick-action comedy homage Hot Fuzz, helmed by Edgar Wright and brought to life (on the page and on screen) by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. It¡¦s part 2 of a pop culture funfest that started with the now-classic zomromcom Shaun of the Dead and ends in 2013 with the highly anticipated The World¡¦s End.
      The clips are funnier if you see them within the context of the movie, and unfortunately, the brief, but oddly hilarious scene with a cameo by Cate Blanchett is not on YouTube, so you must make do with the following (plot spoilers ahead!!):

      To whet your whistle, the trailer that should have been shown (fanmade):
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTUWi5kB7xc

      Car Chase and Point Break: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-lcqIuVaR8

      The Swan¡¦s Escaped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koU01Ah_MrY

      Sea Mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw&feature=fvwrel

      When¡¦s Your Birthday?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMaiKjsAhIM

      Brain Freeze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjeiYzkUBQw

      It¡¦s Just Bolognese!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxH8pGzrjY

      Yarp¡KNarp?...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir1sVy9JLyo

      Jen
    • thrillracer1
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2012
        I wonder why a band called Slug Guts would turn down free marketing. I wonder if underground bands understand much about the corruption in the music industry.

        Anyway, thought I would share that I discovered an underground artist named Lenny B and he gives away free music downloads on his web page at: http://www.lennyb.com/

        This guy already has a great day job as a DJ, so I doubt he cares much about marketing his music. But sometimes it's fun to d/l free music to see if you like any of the songs.

        later,
        thrillracer

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2012
          Hi thrillracer - Thanks for the Lenny B link. Always fun to check out new music. :)

          Yeah, well the guys in Slug Guts aren't known for giving long, in-depth interviews... Speaking of which, I just got an interview back from another artist and it's mainly a bunch of one-liners, and not the funny kind...

          Like you said, why would peeps turn down, or not be into, free marketing? I don't understand it.

          Speaking of words, I have to correct a grammatical error from my Aural Ephemera post, because I'm just like that. I wrote "...whet your whistle..." and what I meant to write was "...whet your appetite..."

          Oh, plus I didn't mean to call my post #18 in the 1st sentence of the message. It is #14...

          Going on about more music stuff, I wanted to mention that Steve Kilbey and Martin Kennedy will be releasing their 3rd album in the near future and it's titled You Are Everything.

          Here is the official news about it and how you can help in its production:

          Hey everyone,

          We are deep into production of our third album You Are Everything and to help us complete it we are running a campaign through Pledgemusic: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/kilbeykennedy

          If you pre-order the new album, you will automatically receive a digital copy of the new album as soon as it is completed early next year and you will have the opportunity to pledge for exclusive items and experiences including:

          A chance to contribute to the album artwork
          Steve's original handwritten lyrics
          Exclusive double CD edition for pledgers only
          A personalised cartoon from Martin
          You will also receive progress reports, video updates, behind the scenes material and works in progress.

          By pledging you are directly helping us to complete recording, mixing, mastering and manufacturing.

          Thank you for your support!

          - Martin & Steve xx

          PLEDGE TO OUR NEW ALBUM: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/kilbeykennedy

          Official Site: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/kilbeykennedy