Radiohead at work on new album.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2005
      Radiohead start new album
      date: 23/3/2005

      Radiohead are working on new material – and guitarist Jonny Greenwood
      has spoken for the first time about a rare live appearance next week
      in London.

      As previously reported, new music from members of Radiohead will be
      played for the first time at the London Ether Festival.

      Material penned by Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood will form part of
      The London Sinfonietta at the London Royal Festival Hall (March 27-
      28).

      Organisers say the events will feature "two evenings of
      experimentation, collaboration and cross-genre juxtaposition". New
      music from Greenwood and Yorke will form part of the show, along with
      more classical composers and traditional Arabic song.

      Speaking in The Guardian newspaper, Greenwood explained the
      challenges of the shows, and how they will influence the next
      Radiohead record.

      He said: "I feel embarrassed talking about it. I'm so patchy. I'll be
      obsessed with a few composers, and know nothing about the rest. I get
      these enthusiasms which can drive the band crazy, but I just
      say: `Listen, French horns are amazing, we've got to find a way of
      using them. Or I'll say, `It would be great if this song sounded like
      Penderecki, or Alice Coltrane'.

      " And it's childish because none of us can play jazz like Alice
      Coltrane, and none of us can write the kind of music that Penderecki
      does. We've only got guitars and a basic knowledge of music, but we
      reach for these things and miss. That's what's cool about it."

      Speaking about working with the Sinfonietta, he added: "They're a
      great orchestra because they're up for radically changing things at
      the last minute. I cut six minutes out during rehearsals… There's
      something about classical musicians - they tend to be totally without
      ego, and so enthusiastic, but also just so talented."

      However, Greenwood has ruled out working in classical music full-
      time, saying that his heart remains with Radiohead.

      He concluded: "Radiohead is always going to be the centre of what I
      do. Everything starts with songs, and with Thom, and with the
      excitement you can get in the band when you hear new music, and you
      know you've got the chance to watch it mutate and change. There's
      nothing like that, nothing as exciting. We're rehearsing at the
      moment, and again it's fun. We all want to push forward, and when you
      have five people who are all like that, you couldn't ask for a better
      thing."

      http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=5313